The Riddler

Old Town Top Water 106 PDL Review

133 posts in this topic

Outstanding report ... can't wait to hear how this platform performs ... is this strictly a freshwater kayak or would you take it out in the ocean ... protected areas, or even out front?

Posted (edited) · Report post

These work pretty good. But they are  a bit expensive. It may fit in your desired location. Good luck with your decision.  NOCQUA  10 amp size.

nocquap_21143_150.jpg

Edited by dbjpb

5 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Outstanding report ... can't wait to hear how this platform performs ... is this strictly a freshwater kayak or would you take it out in the ocean ... protected areas, or even out front?

I can get some nice flat salt water at night for the majority of the season and close to shore catching. It would fit the bill to do that. In unfavorable conditions and dipping into waves in bigger fresh and salt water would be an obvious performance issue taking waves over bow.

I got it for the winter and early spring fishing in protected water. For a 10'6"  kayak everything is well thought out. But it is not a sling over the shoulder, hop steel girder, climb wall platform either. It weighs around 100lbs with drive.

If there was a model platform for ultralight with drive for big and small pedalers? This would be the platform. In fact, it may be worth Old Towns time to do that at a premium of course.

16 mins ago, dbjpb said:

These work pretty good. But they are  a bit expensive. It may fit in your desired location. Good luck with your decision.  NOCQUA  10 amp size.

nocquap_21143_150.jpg

Yes, that was one option I was considering. Also this one

• Voltage: 7.5-12.6V

• Capacity: 17500 mAh

• Amp Draw: 7A Max

• Cycles: 4200 @ 1A discharge 90% DoD

• Dimensions:   5" X 3" X 2 .75"

• Weight: 1.16 lbs.
  • Case: Waterproof hard case IP67 (waterproof only when lead is connected)

• Battery Management System: Built-in short circuit and over current protection with charging and discharging safety cutoff.

• Charger: 2A wall charger

FPV - Power - 17-5ah Battery - 4_202x270.jpg

Man, that temp dropped! Toes were absolutely frozen.  Did a speed thing, Fish Finder Placement thoughts...and water in the cockpit and how it drains. 

Cruising speed is about 3 knots, maxed out around 4. Not a speed demon but it can keep up to a group in flat calm conditions. 

Side imaging works! Finally the bass are feeding !  35 degrees water temp makes tough going!

1D3889A1-4719-446A-9EC8-58BD1A4743DE.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Testing The PDL Dry Box...some surprise here!  It’s actually dry! 

Edited by The Riddler

The white marks brother on the left and right on the side imaging are a top view of the bass. All the white marks are bass. This is with the standard transducer. I have the HD upgraded Transducer that I may pull out of my other kayak and put it in this one and start a new thread on it and all of us can answer questions.