The Riddler

Old Town Top Water 106 PDL Review

177 posts in this topic

I had an old xnt 9 si 180 T transducer kit hanging around since 2017. Still sold today direct from H-Bird. Now I know The Top Water PDL 106 is new but as of right now this is not a plug and play clean install. Compared to Hobie with Lowrance transducer install is easy. Plug and Play clean. You would think this would be easy install with Old Town and Humminbird since both are owned by the same Parent Company , Johnson Outdoors. 

I will have to drill holes and mount to get it out on the water this evening. It’s quite possible there is another bracket out there to make it cleaner and quick but right now I don’t have it.  As it stands now the transducer bracket will have to be dremeled slightly and since 1 screw hole is not enough for me I will have to drill more holes. 

947DE70E-A9DA-4036-82A8-A5930615664B.jpeg

3F4E6870-7DCC-46BA-8C8F-663F86CCC64D.jpeg

That video shed some light.  You have to reverse the transom fitting that comes in the Fish Finder package.  This will tuck up the transducer nicely.  If you have a Side Imaging  transducer it appears you will have good clearerance.  Hope to have her on the water shortly.

43FC470D-8FAB-427A-AFA5-9653F1A254C0.jpeg

D2A62DB7-7575-4A7F-B1EA-50D5163673FD.jpeg

43DCFDEB-9E9A-47ED-884D-7FCE4A274817.jpeg

I was able to tighten up the rudder lines and took some of that end play out of the handle.   Much better! Does not feel as sloppy! Take a small crescent wrench and tighten up evenly the screw spacer.  The more you tight the more it will butt up against the copper crimps. Do it evenly on both sides. I got 3/4”! 

You may also  catch the copper crimp on the rudder. One side I did. It will pop out but I found it annoying.  You can dremel out a little piece of the rudder.  I elected to use my trusty knipex cutters and made quick work out of it. Plenty of meat on the copper rudder line crimps. 1/4” was all I needed.   Nice and smooth now!

B40A0536-FDAE-468B-BFB2-F631A79EE044.jpeg

5620BB0E-EAF6-477F-9CF5-B3943062E6E4.jpeg

8F07E0E6-B3B5-4BC1-BFF0-849C4A274303.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Hobie H Crate Fits! With 1” clearance from Rudder.  Who would have thought you would have this much room ?  For a 10’6” Kayak this is a well thought out platform and at a decent price with the sale of 1499! The more I rig it the more I like the Little Tug!

The Hatch is small and it can be opened with one hand. It will not fit a 30cm wheeleeze beach wheel but with smaller wheels should not be a problem.  

3700A396-261B-4DAF-BC88-6E100CC26F0B.jpeg

642C97BC-B83B-480A-8D4D-BC51BE808769.jpeg

8BD39A9E-A409-4F4C-85D4-4769A1D979C9.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

20 mins ago, Fflyakk said:

Hull design looks like my Tarpon 14. Cuts through the water like butter but sucks on the beach landing I make down here. Bet the SS Tuco is quick.

Happy New Year F!   I will GPS speed tomorrow and see what I get and report back.

Ok pad installed on bar.  You need to take both bolts off because the mesh will sit about 1/2” -5/8” high. It’s an easy mod the middle of the back will appreciate!  Tools needed will be 8mm shallow socket and small ratchet. Screw driver. The insulation is 5/8 thickness for 3/4” copper. 

4958DADE-B981-401C-A3F6-1EAD9ACBD1D8.jpeg

EAEB3799-81C4-41D9-81EB-DAE7D184258C.jpeg

4A063EDC-F0B1-4B7B-A2D6-977E70E3983E.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

9 hours ago, Deep Hole said:

Buyer beware....

True but the issues I had got fixed today. The seat was something the Employee from the place I bought it from sliced with a razor knife taking the package off or it came that way from the factory. Store gave me another one.  The rudder handle play was solved by tightening up the two rudder tension screws. There is still slight play but it’s way better than where it was. I installed the seat pad and I had to do that before on my old Predator PDL. 

Some of this sucked to do but it’s part customization and part of rigging process and some people may feel different about and go about it another way. 

Edited by The Riddler

Riddler, Thanks for the info that you're providing. I have a Ocean Kayak at this point but thinking about a Hobie or an Old Town in my future this info is really helpful.  

8 mins ago, ziggy6 said:

Riddler, Thanks for the info that you're providing. I have a Ocean Kayak at this point but thinking about a Hobie or an Old Town in my future this info is really helpful.  

You're welcome Ziggy. Stop into the thread now and then for updates as this ongoing review continues.

Posted (edited) · Report post

For now I will put the battery in a soft cooler.  I have plans to fit a battery here. Just need to order the battery and make a container.

Something different than the same old below the hatch system. I feel one of those ultralight batteries would benefit on this kayak. 

1D75BA42-A0C7-44D4-940C-469CD0F0C6EC.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler