The Riddler

Old Town Top Water 106 PDL Review

177 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

A discontinued Sebile imported from Poland. 5" swingtail. Great Pike Plug. The bass don't care right now they are not too selective.  Sebile, SP, doesn't matter.

Edited by The Riddler

"p.s. I better check mine too. I covered the pin, exposed part of prop shaft and the nut with grease and undercoat spray last year; will see how it held up."

On 2/4/2019 at 11:15 PM, Letdatbassknock said:

Thank you for the link. Let me know how your drive held up. If it's not showing any signs of corrosion to the housing or pin, I'll be sure to apply the same tactics to the drive I have now or the new one if they replace it.

Finally had a chance to inspect mine. Looks like my method is working. I had no problem to remove the nut. Very minimal rust on the shaft, around the pinhole. Funny I discovered I had a pin almost broken and a spool of seaweed around the shaft. But not rusted lol. Going to clean everything, re-apply grease and seal the nut with automotive undercoat. 

IMG_8290.jpg

IMG_8292.jpg

IMG_8294.jpg

IMG_8296.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

I like your idea of the undercoat. I have had the Topwater in brackish for most of the winter but you inspired me to take the prop off this week and have a look see.

I see corrosion starting to form on the face under the prop. That seems to be a vulnerable area for the drive.

I think I see how it happens. The area between the bearing and pinhole collect the seaweed that traps moisture and it goes under the paint coat. I was able to avoid it as I literally overloaded this place with grease, seaweed looked like greased felt ring when I took it apart. 

Just a heads up, they have this and the Predator version on sale at the New England Paddle Sports Show at UNH in Durham, NH. The Topwater is $1700 and comes with the Humminbird FF (I think Helix 5). 

They’ve also got the Pelican HD130 for 15% off.

I just tested a Topwater PDL at a local demo day. Love the pedal drive and think it will help with about 50% of my fishing waters. The other 50% is intermittent shallow streams where the drive would have to stay rotated up for extended stretches and I would be paddling. How well does the Topwater handle under paddle? At a certain points these streams deepen and the pedal will be helpful to finish out the trip.

I tried to determine this myself in the boat but I went to paddle after playing with the drive so naturally it felt sluggish. I didn't have my own kayak there to switch back and forth to compare.

You talk to one guy, they will tell you the Topwater is a performance paddling kayak. I can tell the truth but some people call it that abrasive. I don't know what to write anymore.....but I can't do that. It's a kayak with a high free board and it's a tug boat....it will paddle like a tug boat should. There I said it.

Riddler, check this out. My 3rd trip to the lake and I push off the shore and get about 20 feet out and I have no steering. Paddled back in to see what's wrong and the plastic "whatever" holding one of the steering cables is gone. 40 mile drive to the lake and I've got to turn around. Called Old Town and they are mailing me another. Brand new boat and this happens. Anyway, I still like it and so doesn't everyone else.

15574373352535065198546735990810.jpg

That blows man!  I would replace those with stainless fittings if you can but so far so good I have not snapped by mine but it is plastic.   Maybe something like the picture below would be worth looking for at west marine. You may be able to heat the copper crimp and get it off clean.  Replace with stainless crimp. 

F6C90184-BE18-4978-94B6-23D3276E0EFE.jpeg