The Riddler

Old Town Top Water 106 PDL Review

177 posts in this topic

This is what happens when you visit the great state of Maine and come upon a sale! 1499.00 out the door! Thought about buying this one for a while and decided to do it. 

As usual this will be an ongoing review...hope to be out tonight fishing and get her slimed up! 

Fish Hard! 

5F47FB91-D537-49CE-BE0F-C6BFE89C0B48.jpeg

3DD03D82-6CB0-4EE5-AE63-0210B355B58F.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

19 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I don't see any easy option of swapping the steering over from the left to the right.

I see that now, thought the rudder up/down was alternate steering control. 

In any case, can't wait for the ongoing review. Will you be hitting some freshwater with it? 

I am hitting freshwater around 8 or 9 tonight. Just trying to get things ready and watching Nortre Dame get their ass kicked by Clemson.

Just getting ready to launch the Lil Tug. Wind picked up and temp is dropping!

The rudder is beefy and I dig the tension knob Old Town added on the rudder control. 

You can keep it loose or put more tension on it. 

E3EDE3EA-8CCE-425C-BC86-E2297D0C1796.jpeg

057309FE-471D-4117-BDDE-835B7785F57D.jpeg

Before I even sat in it, I have a problem.  The seat is ripped! What’s up with this? I know I will be covered by the warranty from LL Bean but this is something I missed before I Maine....a 2 hour ride round trip. 

Suck!

The seat is a lesser quality than my old Predator PDL I had in 2016.  

D84073C8-7BF7-40E4-80EF-15BBD36C3F06.jpeg

5126C54D-71D0-497B-A1D9-7DF54F7BC948.jpeg

No fish tonight but great getting out there until the cold wind picked up out of the Northwest. Here is a quick video on 3 things I need to address.  

1) Rudder Control Play

2) Padding on Seat Bar (Had to do the same thing on my 2016 Old Town Predator PDL)

3) Ripped Seat 

Getting back to the handle. It’s a primitive system. It’s a thumb cap with stainless screw and the screw  Contacts a plate on the handle and puts tension on the rudder control. I believe Old Town wanted to create tension on the rudder control line and help with tracking from a rudder that can move with some current from behind or windy conditions. They should have just left it alone like the Predator PDL. 

I have to give this system an “F”. It’s sloppy with too much end play for the user that wants an easy to steer ride.  I have to try and come up with a better solution and I will. Stay tuned. 

Photo shows the handle pitched from tension on the screw. I think this system would be better if a true lock option was available. Drifters could simply lock the rudder at any angle they wish and fish hands free. Pull up the lock with a click and simply return to normal rudder control without end play. 

0E3FBFB2-E6B7-4F4B-946E-8733F16D901B.jpeg

3883DD49-2144-44E0-87D5-B77EE70225DA.jpeg

15 hours ago, BillZ said:

Woah! :dismay: .......

Razor knife cut maybe??

careless unpacking....:confused:

I believe that's what they did. I asked them to assemble the kayak because I was losing daylight. I didn't see it first hand but the kayak came out with all the packaging and the seat was packaged with quite a bit of wrap that held the drive in there too. Employee must have had a razor knife and got too crazy. 

KTP is giving me a new seat. I have to take the drive, 2 hours roundtrip....I will see what I can get from the manager. A coupon or something.

On 12/30/2018 12:53 PM, Cheryl Toth wrote:

Hello Jeffrey,

Thank you for sending the photos. I’m very sorry that there is a problem with your seat, and of course we will be happy to replace it for you!

Are you planning to be back in the area so we can swap out that defective one for a new one ?

Thank you,

Cheryl Toth

Specialty Sports Assistant Manager

Kittery Trading Post

888-587-6246

Went up and got the new seat no questions asked. Decal and a name and hopefully put on a FF fast for a run this evening. 

7B6FBD13-7E0E-49F3-8A0E-929B980B33A2.jpeg

1C71999C-1CFA-4A9E-8F44-D80FB586D995.jpeg