Mokes

Sharpest hooks?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

trebles? I think the owner st-66, though they are pricey. I do like the eagle claws if I want a lighter (though strong) hook configuration- (when compared to vmc)

do you carry a sharpener/file on you when you fish? I am always touching my hooks up and testing the points against my thumbnail. 

I think most of the popular name brand hooks come packaged reasonabley sharp. But I always take a file or stone to them just to give that little extra edge. They can never be too sharp.

I have some relatively cheap credit-card sided diamond hones that work real nice for touching up knives, hooks, or anything else you need to keep scary sharp.  For a set of 3 diamond 'coarse, fine and extra fine' picking up a pack to leave in my fishing bag made sense to me but you'll probably only need the extra fine (~1200).  

Do all the heavy lifting and sharpening when you're at home and just use the cards to touch up when you're out in the field.  

26 mins ago, CDubbs said:

I think most of the popular name brand hooks come packaged reasonabley sharp. But I always take a file or stone to them just to give that little extra edge. They can never be too sharp.

This !

Gamakatsu gets my vote.  I generally use Mustad's and always sharpen them before using.  

There are a lot of good videos on YouTube.  I use this method (not with those tools, though) with a file and it seems to work well enough.  

Gamakastus are very sharp right out of the package. No need to sharpen. Most hooks need to be touched up after use though. Always carry a small file or sharpen before trip. Note ; VMC trebles the most common replacement hooks on plugs,  need to be sharpened out of package.

Sharpen your hooks , I dedicate at least 45 minutes sharpening the hooks on the plugs that I'm taking with me when I go out, Even if they are new out of the box. And between tides killing some time.