Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter D

TACKLE AND GUN SHOPS OF THE PAST

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

With lawn mower earnings and my father's support, got my first 9' bamboo surf rod, Penn Beachmaster reel, 36 #

nylon and an blue Atom swimmer from Whitworth's Sporting Goods on Essex St in Lawrence Mass in 1947.  Caught my first striper with that rig in the shadow of High Sandy in the federal refuge on Plum Island. Later, after the Air Force, bought my first surf spinning rig from Al's Rod and Gun around the corner from Whitworth's on Broadway.  I remember Al as being very affable and engaging and he talked me into a rear drag Thoman surf reel which was always quirky and suffered major trauma when I drove the rod into hard sand to unhook a bass and both "wings" of the reel seat snapped off.  Al was not so affable when I brought the reel back but he tried to contact the company with little success. The reel was repaired by my childhood fishing mentor's mechanic buddy with a metal foot sistered and riveted to the broken stubs. It worked but I had to thoroughly wash and spray the reel after each use but the repair rusted anyway.  He warned me that he had no stainless available but you take what you can get as a freebee.  Just tried to Google both stores with no results although there is an Al's in Utah.  Lawrence has changed a bit since I was a kid.  

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, oldgoat said:

North Eastham, master gun smith. Can't remember his name.

Passed way to young.

Al  Shepard

Bought my first shotgun at Roach’s Hardware in Porter Sq. in Cambridge ( grew up in Camb).

It was a High Standard 20 gauge, fixed full choke. Had to let the birds get out but that gun would reach out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/30/2018 at 9:25 AM, troutworm said:

How about MVP Sports Stores,originally part owned by Johnny Most,

the voice of the Celtics.

That would explain why The Chief would buy firearms at the Danvers store.

Edited by Captain Tuttle
spelling