TACKLE AND GUN SHOPS OF THE PAST

Rate this topic

Peter D

LONG GONE TACKLE AND GUN SHOPS

Boston and vicinity

Iver Johnson, Cornhill and Washington Sts. (guns and tackle)

Jordan Marsh yes, they also sold guns, Washington St (bought a REM 22), 1957

Raymond’s – Tackle only, Washington St bought many Luxor reels, 1950, 60’s

Sears Roebuck Tackle and guns

Amelio Destefano, Washington St – Harnel custom rods

Amelio’s sister, Staniford St- Harnel custom rods-made me a Lami spinning rod, my blank 1956

Stoddard’s -Wash St, then West St-carried nice split bamboo fly rods (Orvis made?)

Detra’s, Powder House Sq- Somerville custom rods Built me several Lami surf rods and Alcedo Micron reels 1961

Whitey’s, Arlington

Roach’s Hardware, Porter Sq, Cambridge- good supply of firearms and supplies

Lechmere Sales-Cambridge, bought several Fenwick fly rods (1960’s)

Bill and Ted’s Shooting Supplies Rte 3A, Burlington – first Remington 870 ($140), 1975

K-MART Chelmsford – bought Marlin 336C ($89.97), 1977

Western Auto, Lowell, MA – bought South Bend split bamboo fly rod (1950)

NY Houses

Lombards, Nanuet NY- Had very competitive prices and imported Franchi shot guns and Alcedo spinning reels and rods-I believe they were US distributor for Alcedo.

Parker Distributor’s – New Rochelle NY

Montgomery Wards-tackle

Conn:

Piscatelli's Gun Shop, New Haven Conn.

Cook, Newton & Smith, Hamden, Conn.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

11 hours ago, Peter D said:

LONG GONE TACKLE AND GUN SHOPS

Boston and vicinity

Iver Johnson, Cornhill and Washington Sts. (guns and tackle)

Jordan Marsh yes, they also sold guns, Washington St (bought a REM 22), 1957

Raymond’s – Tackle only, Washington St bought many Luxor reels, 1950, 60’s

Sears Roebuck Tackle and guns

Amelio Destefano, Washington St – Harnel custom rods

Amelio’s sister, Staniford St- Harnel custom rods-made me a Lami spinning rod, my blank 1956

Stoddard’s -Wash St, then West St-carried nice split bamboo fly rods (Orvis made?)

Detra’s, Powder House Sq- Somerville custom rods Built me several Lami surf rods and Alcedo Micron reels 1961

Whitey’s, Arlington

Roach’s Hardware, Porter Sq, Cambridge- good supply of firearms and supplies

Lechmere Sales-Cambridge, bought several Fenwick fly rods (1960’s)

Bill and Ted’s Shooting Supplies Rte 3A, Burlington – first Remington 870 ($140), 1975

K-MART Chelmsford – bought Marlin 336C ($89.97), 1977

Western Auto, Lowell, MA – bought South Bend split bamboo fly rod (1950)

NY Houses

Lombards, Nanuet NY- Had very competitive prices and imported Franchi shot guns and Alcedo spinning reels and rods-I believe they were US distributor for Alcedo.

Parker Distributor’s – New Rochelle NY

Montgomery Wards-tackle

When I lived in Douglas Ma.  There were 3 small gun shops in town. Times have changed. 

10 hours ago, troutworm said:

Bought my first shotgun at Service Merchandise,Stoughton back when.

And how about B&D Reloaders in Hyde Park.

I bought a 12 gauge mossberg with 2 barrels from service merchandise in auburn. 

troll #122  <*)))<

Conroys bait and tackle in Watervliet NY still open but hasn’t sold guns in years. This shop was an old timey place run by a true outdoorsmen. The father passed on 40 years ago but his wife and a son continue to keep it going. They use to drive many miles to catch bait in ponds and bring it back to stock tanks. Best bait ever. Mike the son ,now in his mid 60’s would special order anything for his customers and never ask for anything “down” ,a hand shake was good nuff wether a crockadile spoon or an Ithaca 20 ga auto. They still have great bait but the rules and regs have changed so much regarding bait it’s no longer possible to have several species,sizes and types,gone are the days of securing bait in 1 place and fishing it in another. These shops beat the hell out of the big corporate stores that employ mostly just people that need a job and not the outdoorspeople that share the love of what we enjoy. Go to your local shop and buy something hang around a few minutes and share a story. Can’t get that in the middle of the mall !

Mike's Guns and Tackle, Oakville, Ct. 

Nichol's Oil and Sporting Goods, Winsted, Ct.

Fall Mountain Sports, New Britain, Ct.

The Valley Angler, Danbury, Ct.

Worldwide Firearms, Monroe, Ct.

Meriden Gun Shop

Bob's furniture and Guns, Darien, Ct.

Sportsman's Den, Trumbull, Ct.

Seymour Sport shop, Seymour, Ct.

I sold guns and tackle wholesale for almost 20 years and at one time knew them all- im sure I have forgotten many, but most were a pleasure to deal with back in the day. 1980 thru 1998 or so. 

3 mins ago, troutworm said:

How about MVP Sports Stores,originally part owned by Johnny Most,

the voice of the Celtics.

They were all over the place for awhile, but slowly went bank rupt as I recall. They occasionally had some good buys, like Colemans and even Building 19 as well 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal