fishhappy

Getting a Slammer 460 USA Surf Ready

7 posts in this topic

I've used a 460 in the surf for a long time. It's surf-ready out of the box. 

Or do you mean dunk-ready?

Agree with above. What I do on all my  penn spinners that are similar unsealed reels, learned from my dad:  I run a bead of heavy grease around the edge of the plate that covers the gear case before you screw it down, pack grease under the drag knob and where the handle screws into the gear case.  I also smear a thin grease coating over the under side of the spool.  Disassemble the line roller and grease/oil frequently.  Low pressure Rinse with fresh water after every use.   I don’t swim with my reels but they get sprayed a lot and I have never had any salt or corrosion issues in 50 years.  

Adding a fresh coating of PENN grease in the gear box and on top of the rotor nut will help prevent saltwater from entering.  Other than that the reel will work fine.  Jim J had some good tips as well. 

tony

member here suggested aquashield grease awhile back. i used it to "seal" a reel that would normally have about 1/2 a teaspoon or so of water ingress in a day of heavy surf fishing. tested it for 2 days. zero waterr ingress. only used it on entry points. stuff is like bubble gum. would not want to use it on internals. scoobyy has a video on it.....good luck

On 1/2/2019 at 1:50 PM, Belmo said:

I've used a 460 in the surf for a long time. It's surf-ready out of the box. 

Or do you mean dunk-ready?

No dunking, im not the bait.