Value (cheap) rod/reel for a new saltwater guy

If you’re in the N.J. area the outdoor show is this coming weekend, l have always found deals at these shows. Rods are easy to find deals on but reels can be tricky a lot of low priced reels are low priced for good reason. As far as inexpensive reels the cheapest spinner I would use is the penn conflict it’s light smooth and if you get the lc model lays line well. Most of the other mentioned low level reels have a cheap feel to them, maybe the BG or penn battle but the fierce in my opinion is a reel made for guys fishing  cut bait on the beach. Just my opinion but sometimes you got to spend a little to get some decent quality——what do you guys think?

Penn conflict or BG are great reels to start with.  

Agree about the fierce decent and cheap but can’t handle being dunked or splashed.  Have a nice Diawa saltiest set up I use  for surf casting but all my kayak rod and reels bought on SOL used.   There will be some great deals in the upcoming 2 months 

FWIW, I picked up a couple of Penn SSV IV in the 2500 size for yak & FW use. All my reels eventually get dunked on the kayak- esp. when I am walking the rod back to untangle a tip section. Sure it’ll cost more than something not IPX5 rated, but I can hose it off and be done with maintenance. 

28 mins ago, staktup said:

FWIW, I picked up a couple of Penn SSV IV in the 2500 size for yak & FW use. All my reels eventually get dunked on the kayak- esp. when I am walking the rod back to untangle a tip section. Sure it’ll cost more than something not IPX5 rated, but I can hose it off and be done with maintenance. 

Amen brother, damn tip tangles! (though I think the latest are called SSVI).  I have 2 SSV 4500s, a Shield 3000 and a Guard 2000. Sure, they're not perfectly waterproof, but all those seals is better than none. There's some cheap Guards out there, I got mine for $50.

Shimano 4500 baitrunner

From a kayak, you name it, it can do it.

(little small off the beach where you don't have the boat acting as a secondary drag)

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

57 mins ago, gellfex said:

Amen brother, damn tip tangles! (though I think the latest are called SSVI).  I have 2 SSV 4500s, a Shield 3000 and a Guard 2000. Sure, they're not perfectly waterproof, but all those seals is better than none. There's some cheap Guards out there, I got mine for $50.

YES, MY BAD- SSVI.  IPX5 vs. IPX6 of the Slammer but good enough for me.  One of my lil 2500s is a liveliner model; should be a fun, compact machine.

I agree with the tsunami five star they’re amazing for the price. I also like the avenger bait feeder I’ve got a 40 I’ve used for a year and have fresh and salt with very minimal maintenance and it’s handled everything from Spanish to big carp and stripers. I’d even recommend the penn pursuit, I got one about 3 years ago and it’s still fine. I’ve got a buddy who uses them for his pier gear and has caught good size tarpon ans big jacks on them with no problems at all. Although I’m not saying these reels are better than reels stated above I just think they’re good options on the lowest end of the price range.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 2:10 PM, gobigblue said:

7' penn squadron for saltwater will cover pretty much everything, freshwater i like the berkley cherrywood rods for cheap

I have to disagree about the berkeley cherrywood. I had one and it broke easily. Maybe it was my fault.