WXZ31

Bucktail mold question

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Need help finding a bucktail mold like the S&S rockhopper or Andreas jetty caster. I already use do-it molds smiling bills(hot lips). Looking to change pace and try something new. Thanks to anyone with advice.  

BDA1E893-D7C9-4169-AFD3-4FDAEDDD0AF1.jpeg

Yea they are quality and I understand the pricing after reading info on them. It’s a shame on my part that they are made to order. I can’t fit that into my budget. 

7 hours ago, lonellr said:

There's a guy on fleabay called cnc-works that sells them. gonna run you almost $200.

s-l1600.jpg

That guy is Collins.  

Quality costs and there is no substitute.

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

That guy is Collins.  

Quality costs and there is no substitute.

I figured it was Collins. I just didn't see that mold on his webpage.

3 hours ago, WXZ31 said:

Yea they are quality and I understand the pricing after reading info on them. It’s a shame on my part that they are made to order. I can’t fit that into my budget. 

He has them eBay buy it now ready to ship you will have it 2-3 days

I have several Collins molds. 

Practically and financially I cannot justify the cost. Since I make my tackle for personal use, or gifts, I will never recoup the money spent on these molds. I cannot even say for certain that the jigs and sinkers produced from these molds have increased my fishing success.

Aesthetically, however, there is a certain joy in using them and a great appreciation of their amazing quality. I am extremely frugal with most material goods. I will never own a Rolex, German sportscar, or Faberge egg. I highly doubt I will ever own a $600 fishing reel or an $800 fly rod.  These hold no value for me, but I do understand they hold value for others. I make these comparisons because Collins molds are that high of quality.

Collins bullet jig molds start at about $125. Do It molds are $30-40. If you email Collins from their website, they will let you specify what weight jigs to put in the mold block for the same cost or a pittance more than than listed on the auction site. Depending on what sizes you need/want, the custom option could replace two or three do it molds. Still more expensive, but increasing the cost justification slightly. 

Long story, short: Dont dismiss the affordability too quickly. These molds are works of art!!

You summed it up very well. I myself am extremely frugal when I comes to myself and what I do already produces. These molds are purely aesthetic for me they look great and that’s that. I appreciate all of the info maybe I would give them a call and see how much there 3/5-1.5 mold cost. Thanks a lot 

Do-it molds:  The flat sided, bannana, and they have one that looks just like the spro jigs that are of interest to me atleast.

Bannana looks to be somewhat more snag proof.  Possible candidtae for a green crab tog jig too....

The flat sided jig looks perfects for deeper high current inlets.  The slender profile coupled with a mildly hairy tail might do the trick with less weight, so your not so tired of casting out boat anchors during fast currents.

Debating what ones to get myself.  Got the lead, the flux, and a lyman 10lb melter.   Thinking the lighter weight hot lips mold 3/4oz to 1&1/2oz.  And then geting the flathead jig in 1.5 to 3oz range.  Looking to modify the jig molds to make most of them fit an 8/0 mustad hook, and then a few smaller sizes for all 5/0 for early bass n fluke.

check out spi-3-l mold.  that might be a good option your looking for.  Even more so is you touch up the nose a little more rounded with a dremel.

If those smilin bill jigs are doing everything you need them to, maybe look into some of their lead lure molds.  Perfect for albies, when the bass are chasing anchovies, or the snaggled toothed bluefish are around.

Edited by salt deficient