Conor

Brewster flats- wade guide

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Hard to resist the one more fish when your hitting them out there. But boy can that get you in some trouble if your not a good swimmer.

Just to add there are plenty of non-Brewster locations on the cape for sight fishing. Also worth remembering that it tends to change quite a bit year to year so you have to 're-learn' the topography each season. Last year many of the really nice outer sand bars smoothed out making it harder to drop back with the tide.

A kayak and RonZ ‘s always made a safe and productive trip for me. A buddy is still a wise decision out there. Fog is scary the compass is mandatory a pin on works great attached to your vest. A loud whistle could save your butt as well there are boats and it’s hard to see a yak on a good day. 

On 2018-12-31 at 0:04 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

I fish quite a bit near Sesuit Harbor ... Given that you'll be there in August, waders are probably not necessary, especially during the day. That way if you have to swim, you can and not worry about flooding waders. A good way to learn and get comfortable is to go out at dawn when the tide 1-2 hours from low into the drop. You can comfortably fish 2 hours before to 2 hours after low ... track of the time. There are usually a handful of folks around just before or at dawn, so you can watch what's going on.

An easy & safe way to fish these flats at night is at high tide ... go 1st during the day and then at night with some knowledge of the area.

Goose Hummock is on Rt 134 near Rt 6A near Sesuit Harbor in Dennis ... they have plugs, flies and advice

Give me a shout when you are down ... there are a handful of folks, including me, I know who don't mind company.

I may take you up on that. I plan to get out for a bit most days, so I will reach out to see if we can make it work. 

Tried to PM but my account might be too junior for that. 

12 hours ago, Conor said:

I may take you up on that. I plan to get out for a bit most days, so I will reach out to see if we can make it work. 

Tried to PM but my account might be too junior for that. 

There are a minimum number of post you need to make before you can PM ... 5 or 6 I think (someone should chime in) ... once you do send me a PM and I'll send you my email address.

The kayak idea is also very good ... I miss out a lot  because it's just easier to grab my rod and walk ...

I waded the brewster flats one time, and the trip back in to shore was pretty wild, even for being a sunny late morning. I now only fish it via kayak out of sesuit. 

Caution is not a bad thing ... however, I fish the flats quite a bit. Low tide fishing has always been dawn, daylight or dusk ... never at night. However, if you pay attention to the time and know when the tide turns, you shouldn't have a problem ... 2 hours before to 2 hours after the tide turns from low toward flood (the 1st few times I would recommend limiting from 1 to 1.5 hours) ... just make sure you are moving back toward the shore, pay attention to the bars and follow them back. 2 Hours into the rise is a good time to fish the troughs in front of shore ... had some really good days last year walking back to my car fishing the close toughs as they fill.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 0:17 AM, aglenn said:

Do you have gear for shallow water SW fly fishing?  If so - I'd say you don't need a guide.  You'll read a lot on here about what you talked about - being careful during tides and what not.  If you're careful, which is sounds like you will be from your experiences, you can wade and find fish all spring long just by sight fishing, just through clousers in difference colors and sizes till you find what works.

If you need any recommendations, stop by black eel outfitters in Brewster - the guy that used to work for fishing the cape & originally the orvis in harwich is there and no one knows more than he does on the area.

The Black Eel Shop is in Dennis.On 6a opposite village town green.I work there with Chris,Alex,& John[owner].Decades of flats experience.

4 mins ago, theshadow said:

The Black Eel Shop is in Dennis.On 6a opposite village town green.I work there with Chris,Alex,& John[owner].Decades of flats experience.

I did not know ... I have a summer place in Dennis ... I'll be stopping in this year ... strictly fly fishing or all type?

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Steve can be found by looking for cape cod fishing expeditions.if you are comfortable in a kayak,he can take you around the flats via a kayak,a little safer way to fish..as far as shop advice,a member here The Shadow works in a shop i think the black eel,he is one of the most expierenced fly fishers on the Cape

Hello John; I was on the phone yesterday with one of the local tiers who winters in Fla. We're starting up tying flies for the upcoming season.Picked up a couple of kayaks over Christmas that were on sale too.Spoke with Steve Kean too and he's booking the good dates already.We've got some very interesting stuff coming up this year.The ankle is looking good too so the lost year[18] is history.Indoor casting starts up on Monday&Thursday with the club.Still open water everywhere and the flyfishing is great for trout and some bass tucked up next to the springs and grass beds.People need to get off their butts for a couple of hours and take part in a great underused fishery with 4,5,6 wt rods.Some fish are 5#+.Holdovers are around too.Oh! Gramps is out daily but hasn't got his 1st bass of the year YET! Enjoy the snow.Stay safe.Happy New Year.

17 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I did not know ... I have a summer place in Dennis ... I'll be stopping in this year ... strictly fly fishing or all type?

Mostly Fly gear but we did carry some plugs,jigs,sluggos,hogys,etc.A few spinning setups and reels.No refridgerated baits.Spooling line for spinning reels too.Not sure what the boss is going to add this year yet.

I bought a Sage 8wt at the Black Eel and caught a keeper three hours later.  The place is charmed.  I also bought savage sand eels which work great bounced off the bottom.  They have a "go-to" selection of conventional lures that are comprised of Cape Cod favorites.  They know their stuff.   

Shadow I meet you this spring at the Eel.  We had a long chat about our injuries. I'm the fellow who was recovering from a broken foot and if I'm not mistaken your wife was recovering from an ankle injury. Could be wrong about the location. Nice to have met you.