Conor

Brewster flats- wade guide

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Hi all. I’m in Brewster for the first two weeks of August 2019. My sister has a place and one nephew is keen on fishing. I was thinking of hiring a wade guide to take him and I out. Any recommendations?

I searched around a bit but it was hard to ‘wade’ through the tide warnings. I am well aware of the dangers out there, FYI. Had a long dark swim at Paines once years ago. 

Do you have gear for shallow water SW fly fishing?  If so - I'd say you don't need a guide.  You'll read a lot on here about what you talked about - being careful during tides and what not.  If you're careful, which is sounds like you will be from your experiences, you can wade and find fish all spring long just by sight fishing, just through clousers in difference colors and sizes till you find what works.

If you need any recommendations, stop by black eel outfitters in Brewster - the guy that used to work for fishing the cape & originally the orvis in harwich is there and no one knows more than he does on the area.

1 min ago, oldgoat said:

always wear a PFD, compass and a whistle.

advise that goes with a great deal of wisdom should you spend any time on those flats .

Lets not forget Red Top , Cape Cod Charlies, Macko;s all in Buzzards Bay One in Hyannis on 132 Powder Horn Outfitters they have every thing fly as does Red Top , assuming that is how you plan to fish I would recommend those two over the others. Then again if you get down further on the cape you can check out the one at the rotary at the end of suicide alley That was once owned by a former governor in our state . The name escapes me for now , but if you are interested in it I will find out the name that escapes me for now

Steve can be found by looking for cape cod fishing expeditions.if you are comfortable in a kayak,he can take you around the flats via a kayak,a little safer way to fish..as far as shop advice,a member here The Shadow works in a shop i think the black eel,he is one of the most expierenced fly fishers on the Cape

I fly fished Brewster Flats many times. Not a place to take lightly, even middle of the day.  You're wading way offshore. The tide comes in behind you. Even remaining an hour too long can give you a scary return trip to shore. I had the hell scared out if me once. The last 200 yards I was on my tip toes with water going over the top of my waders. 

A compass is a must. If fog comes in you'll become disoriented fast. Its easy to walk the wrong way.

As for flies, I found sparsely dressed clousers and half and halfs worked best. When the schoolies invade the flats you'll have a lot of fish to throw at. 

I fish quite a bit near Sesuit Harbor ... Given that you'll be there in August, waders are probably not necessary, especially during the day. That way if you have to swim, you can and not worry about flooding waders. A good way to learn and get comfortable is to go out at dawn when the tide 1-2 hours from low into the drop. You can comfortably fish 2 hours before to 2 hours after low ... track of the time. There are usually a handful of folks around just before or at dawn, so you can watch what's going on.

An easy & safe way to fish these flats at night is at high tide ... go 1st during the day and then at night with some knowledge of the area.

Goose Hummock is on Rt 134 near Rt 6A near Sesuit Harbor in Dennis ... they have plugs, flies and advice

Give me a shout when you are down ... there are a handful of folks, including me, I know who don't mind company.