Domer98

Quick 113H question

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

My bad. The 113h is around 3.25 and the 113 is  around 2.1 .For trolling I wouldn't want anything over 4.5 gear ratio unless pulling light gear.  . A modern day high speed is usually around 6.1 doesn't have the torque  to pull heavy tackle  . Examples a stretch 25 puts  them to there max imo vs a  tld/senator  on a strech 25 will be my preference  to pull bigger gear  or same gear with ease.. I will use high speed 6.1  for kings /spanish/blues fishing that about it . So yes this will fit your purpose perfectly.senator better for wire  then a tld .wire not friendly on graphite frames.

My 6:1 gear ratio reels are Speedmaster fives which hold over 400 yards of 20 lb line and I use for King fishing with Kings it's easy to pull the hook so you normally just want to Tire them out and let them run on you hence the high speed gear ratio and all the line...

:th::th: good luck with it.

Check out Tony Maja's one stop shopping. Every thing you need in one place for what you want to do...:)

He will be at the up coming shows...:)

Lou T

9 hours ago, Lou T said:

Isn't that a PENN SENATOR 4/0 Special? Old school with a  brass spool...:)

It's in remarkable condition...:th::th:

The 4/0 is the next size up ? 

10 mins ago, ccb said:

The 4/0 is the next size up ? 

The first time I seen this post, I was on my cell. The reel displayed by Domer98 is a vintage PENN SENATOR 4/0 Special, that is in excellent condition. From what I can see on my desk top screen. 

Very nice Domer

Lou T

59 mins ago, Domer98 said:

Thanks gents. I will be pairing with a proper trolling rod. Appreciate the comments. Wish you all tight lines in the New Year. 

Take care of that reel. If you ever want to sell it, let us know...:)

26 mins ago, Lou T said:

The first time I seen this post, I was on my cell. The reel displayed by Domer98 is a vintage PENN SENATOR 4/0 Special, that is in excellent condition. From what I can see on my desk top screen. 

Very nice Domer

Lou T

Well he said it was a 113h and a 113 h isn’t a 4/0 senator.   ?  

But after a  second look  your right it is a senator on the side plate 

Edited by ccb

Hi

The 113H is a 4/0 Senator with about a 3 to 1 ratio the 113 without the H is also a 4/0 size senator with about a 2 to 1 ratio. The H models had red side plates and the non H had black side plates. The H models have slightly larger drag washers also. Very well suited to wire with that metal spool and commonly used to trolls spoons. Penn still makes this reel although made in China now. It really is the only real made for wire because of the spool, everything else has aluminum spools which corrode very fast with wire. If you use wire make sure you get carbide guides on the rod, the wire will destroy anything else.

Bob

38 mins ago, ccb said:

Well he said it was a 113h and a 113 h isn’t a 4/0 senator.   ?  YES

But after a  second look  your right it is a senator on the side plate 

The reel is not as old as I thought. The clicker puts it around 2005 - 2008. Here is a bit of history I found on the reel.

Lou T

REEL INFO: Special Senator - Combining the toughness of the legendary Penn Senator reel with higher gear ratios, the Penn Special Senator gives serious saltwater anglers the best of both worlds: power and speed. Penn Special Senators are ready for your next challenge, whether trolling, casting or bottom fishing. ((2005 Penn Catalog) 

HISTORY: The Penn senator was one of Penn's first series. Two seperate Senator series were made at first: One for big game trolling, and one for light tackle fishing. In the early 60's the "Special Senators" were added to the series; reels for fast light tackle game fishing with extra power and a higher gear ratio. In the late 80's the Senator II high speed casting models were added to the Senator-family, and the remaining original big game Senators were replaced by new models. Most of the original big game and light tackle models are not manufactured anymore, but many of the later additions can still be bought today. The 113H has been through several changes. The first models did not have a clicker. Later ones, the clicker was added. The most recent generations have a half-frame instead of the original posts. In 2009 Penn started replacing their H series reels with H2 reels, made in China.

6 hours ago, jimmy z said:

The next size up from what? :howdy:

110  = 1/0 think they made only one gear ratio

111 = 2/0  think they made only one gear ratio 

112 112h =3/0 etc.. .both gear ratio 

And so on etc...

The 110 -111  were made for a short time.more rare to find.  

6 hours ago, jimmy z said:

The next size up from what? :howdy:

I have to go in the cellar and check  I have both . I alway thought the 4/0  was a little bigger? 

I have 4 or 5 ,113H's and one 4/0 ?  

The Black plates were the 2to 1Ratio and the Reds were high speed 3.3 ratio?