evancanalrat

Rio outbound short

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Tangling - I love the OBS short for the fishing I do but the tangling has always and remains an issue even with the current OBS lines.

Two very well known (northeast) guide friends of mine suggested using the tropical version of whatever line you like for northeast applications.  I wouldn’t call it a miracle me but using the tropical is a major improvement.  Tangles reduced by at least half if not more. 

I saw no downside using the tropical OBS short.  Line just coiled up nicely on the deck and shot better the cold water version

Edited by Cpalms

I'd love to see Airflo take the Beach line and replace the mono core with a braided core and add a couple feet to the head length.

I would care less if the core showed through the clear coating, but their marketing department likely wouldn't go for it. :)

They could use a light gray colored braided core which would be hardly noticeable.

SF 

21 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Tangling - I love the OBS short for the fishing I do but the tangling has always and remains an issue even with the current OBS lines.

Two very well known (northeast) guide friends of mine suggested using the tropical version of whatever line you like for northeast applications.  I wouldn’t call it a miracle me but using the tropical is a major improvement.  Tangles reduced by at least half if not more. 

I saw no downside using the tropical OBS short.  Line just coiled up nicely on the deck and shot better the cold water version

I'm gonna try this next season for sure.

Thanx for the tip.

^..^

Originally, I was not interested in the Outbound lines because I used shooting heads, which allowed me to fish the east coast with only three rods (since I could easily switch heads for different situations). I could carry on three rods and get by with a single checked bag. Over the last few years, I have fished numerous Outbound and Outbound Short lines I(in tropical and regular versions) on my 8, 9, and 10 wt Sage RPLXi, Xi2, and Xi3 rods.  I have to admit that  like them. The Short lines work like a shooting head, pick it up, false cast once to get line out, and cast it. They are best at under 80 feet ( I mostly cast in the 60-70 foot range). My primary use is for albies, who don't seem to be bothered by the short taper.  I cast at a spot just above the water, so the line straightens out and then settles to the water. My flies range from 1-1/2 inch long bay anchovy patterns to 5 inch big uglies. The short heavy head work very well for bigger flies and smaller flies, too.  If the turnover is too abrupt, lengthen the leader and finish with lighter leader material.

For longer casts, use the (non-Short) Outbound with the longer head. It will take longer to unfurl; giving a longer cast.  As I understand it, the man difference between Tropical and Regular Outbound lines is the stiffness (mainly of the running line). The Tropical line will be stiffer than the Tropical in colder waters, which might prevent some running line tangles.  I have a mix of new and old, Tropical and Non-Tropical, Short and Regular.  I use whatever is handy for my rod weight.  I have noticed that non-Tropical Outbounds have a limper running line and regular Outbounds are better at longer casts, though I am never casting much more than 80 feet under any circumstances. Other than that I am good with all of them. The only problem that I d was that one of the original Tropicals had its core separate from the running line.

As everyone has already said, Outbounds are already heavier,,,, DO NOT UPLINE them

I haven't used the Coastal QS XP much so far but the running line is definitely more 'springy' and coils more than the old OBS Inter so far. I have had cracking issues on the old OBS but they get used a lot and lines are 'consumable' in my view. Rio replaced them when I sent them back to.

Evan

What is the deal with  Over lining. Not all rods benifit from doing  this.

Why  should this be a default action to take.

OBS are already over lined. 

9wt rod  suggest a line around 300 grains as a good starting point.

Mikey 

On 29/12/2018 at 6:01 PM, crashq said:

Originally, I was not interested in the Outbound lines because I used shooting heads, which allowed me to fish the east coast with only three rods (since I could easily switch heads for different situations). I could carry on three rods and get by with a single checked bag. Over the last few years, I have fished numerous Outbound and Outbound Short lines I(in tropical and regular versions) on my 8, 9, and 10 wt Sage RPLXi, Xi2, and Xi3 rods.  I have to admit that  like them. The Short lines work like a shooting head, pick it up, false cast once to get line out, and cast it. They are best at under 80 feet ( I mostly cast in the 60-70 foot range). My primary use is for albies, who don't seem to be bothered by the short taper.  I cast at a spot just above the water, so the line straightens out and then settles to the water. My flies range from 1-1/2 inch long bay anchovy patterns to 5 inch big uglies. The short heavy head work very well for bigger flies and smaller flies, too.  If the turnover is too abrupt, lengthen the leader and finish with lighter leader material.

For longer casts, use the (non-Short) Outbound with the longer head. It will take longer to unfurl; giving a longer cast.  As I understand it, the man difference between Tropical and Regular Outbound lines is the stiffness (mainly of the running line). The Tropical line will be stiffer than the Tropical in colder waters, which might prevent some running line tangles.  I have a mix of new and old, Tropical and Non-Tropical, Short and Regular.  I use whatever is handy for my rod weight.  I have noticed that non-Tropical Outbounds have a limper running line and regular Outbounds are better at longer casts, though I am never casting much more than 80 feet under any circumstances. Other than that I am good with all of them. The only problem that I d was that one of the original Tropicals had its core separate from the running line.

As everyone has already said, Outbounds are already heavier,,,, DO NOT UPLINE them

I fully agree with you.

I'll be trying the tropical OBS in coldwater for sure...

Cheers

^..^

This is interesting people prefer tropical lines over lines designed for cold water.  I am using the levithan and it gets the job done, but I really don't like tropical lines in cold water at all.  The reason I used the levithan is it has a 50lb core strength which is what I need for the Cape Cod Canal.  I fish a 65lb gel spun backing, levithan 700 grain sinking line, and a straight 40lb leader about 4-5 feet long.   Also the Outbound did not come in a high enough weight to load my 12 weight two hand rod otherwise I would be using it.  I have found that late in season when air temperatures get below 40 degrees the tropical line becomes very difficult to use.  I got it in September so maybe I need to try it out in July/August when air temps are much higher and I will see the benefit.