evancanalrat

Rio outbound short

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I’m looking for a fly line for my TFO signature series 9wt. The fly line selector on the RIO website pointed me towards the Intouch Outbound Short F/I. What are your thoughts on this line? Also, should I overline my MF rod?

OB and OBS have short only about 5ft front tapers and line loop overshoots when fly is small and therefore false casting power needs to be controlled better which IMO needs unnecessary concentration when fishing. I don't know if newer OB running lines are better but what I have had were thin and did shoot long casts but also did tangle quite a lot and were not durable.

Esa

I have an 8wt TFO 2 which is also listed as medium fast by TFO...I found that I didn't really like overlining it by too much.   If you're looking for shorter head lines, here are a few that I've used and liked better than the outbound short:

Scientific Anglers Titan

Rio Coastal Quickshooter XP (still similar in weight to the OBS, but casts nicer in my opinion)

Orvis Coldwater Intermediate

That said, I use Outbound Short lines on some of my faster action 9 & 10 weights and like them. 

I have fished the old RIO OB Shorts a lot.  I like them.  Many do not.  I does take a little time getting used to them.

I did buy 2 of the in-touch intermediate lines in #8 and #10.

The new inttouch running line is much better than the old - very little tangling - if any.

I would recommend them.  Don't overline them

For a floater though - I don't think you can do better than the Wulff  Bermuda Triangle Floater.  I would overline that though.

Better than the Wulff Bermuda TT though for a floater is the Wulff Bermuda TT SHORT.

I would use the #11 fpor your 9wt.  It is only 385gr.  But very powerful and really loads the rod quickly.

PM me for more info.

Herb

I agree with @crunch in that if you plan to throw smaller flies like sparse sandeel flies the OBS lines can over power the cast with how they are built and requires some focus on false casting to make cast turns over right.  I rarely throw flies smaller than 8 inches so the OBS is a fantastic line for me with larger flies I don't have to worry about the same over power problem due to the air resistance.  If you throw a lot of big flies I highly recommend the OBS.

I also like Rio's striper floating line.  It has a good head for punching into wind but the head is longer and has a longer front taper than OBS so I use this when I need to throw smaller flies and land them with some level of finesse.  

18 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I agree with @crunch in that if you plan to throw smaller flies like sparse sandeel flies the OBS lines can over power the cast with how they are built and requires some focus on false casting to make cast turns over right.  I rarely throw flies smaller than 8 inches so the OBS is a fantastic line for me with larger flies I don't have to worry about the same over power problem due to the air resistance.  If you throw a lot of big flies I highly recommend the OBS.

I also like Rio's striper floating line.  It has a good head for punching into wind but the head is longer and has a longer front taper than OBS so I use this when I need to throw smaller flies and land them with some level of finesse.  

Would you overline the Rio floating line?

The Rio Outbound and Outbound short are exaggerated tapers and heavier than the listed line weight on the box. 

If you have a 9 wt rod, use the 9 wt line. 

Its designed for ease of cast with minimal false casts. One or two false casts and let er go.

i really like them for the Northeast salt. But I would not use them for delicate presentations to say skittish or rising fish in calm water

the original lines had a kinky core, but the In Touch series is much less prone to tangle. I fished the In Touch side by side with an Airflo this fall and slightly preferred the Rio Outbound In Touch for local salt.

40 mins ago, evancanalrat said:

Would you overline the Rio floating line?

NO. The 10wt is 450 grains in 30 feet which is a very heavy head.  Do not overline because your rod will not be able to handle it.

8 mins ago, JohnP said:

The Rio Outbound and Outbound short are exaggerated tapers and heavier than the listed line weight on the box. 

If you have a 9 wt rod, use the 9 wt line. 

Its designed for ease of cast with minimal false casts. One or two false casts and let er go.

i really like them for the Northeast salt. But I would not use them for delicate presentations to say skittish or rising fish in calm water

the original lines had a kinky core, but the In Touch series is much less prone to tangle. I fished the In Touch side by side with an Airflo this fall and slightly preferred the Rio Outbound In Touch for local salt.

JohnP hit the nail on the head. I have the newer line with the In Touch and I was very happy with how the running line performed.  It has a 30lb breaking strength too so you can put on some very heavy leaders.

I use the OBS lines on my two hand overhead beach fly rod 10wt rod for throwing big flies at night. It never lands pretty but is much quieter than a 3oz plug hitting the water so where and how I am fishing the rough landing does not matter.  I fish ocean facing beaches, inlets, boulder fields, and rocky drop off areas with this rod.  I am typically throwing flies 8-14 inches long.  When fishing with my TH OH Rod I don't false cast at all instead I make one roll cast to get the head outside of the rod. I let the roll cast land and anchor in water for a second or two then I use the waterload anchor to power into the backcast then one strong forward TH OH casting stroke and I can shoot the line out 60-80 feet.  The lack of false casting really makes this line shine at night for me as the more times you swing your fly rod in the dark the more chance for leaders to tangle or things to go wrong.

I use the Rio Striper lines on my 9WT rod they have a longer head so still cast flies well in the wind but can land a fly with some finesse.  I use the 9wt rod only for very shallow areas like flats, salt ponds, or upper skinny sections of salt marsh creeks.  The line still has good mass and can throw 8-10 inch herring flies 30-60 feet with favorable wind conditions but land them much softer than the OBS so at night in skinny creeks I like to land my herring fly very quietly.  However this rod and line I primarily fish smaller flies like crabs, clousers, or floating sandeel flies with this rod in the 3-6" range that are very sparse.  

43 mins ago, Stonefish said:

Agree with the inTouch version being better.

Less tangles and better durability. I still like the longer head on the Coastal Quickshooter better.

SF

I loved my Coastal Quickshooter but I accidentally killed that line because unfortunately I did not realize the core strength is less than 30lbs.  I was using a 30lb leader and broke my fly line core.  I liked the Coastal because since its a mono core I could have a clear intermediate tip for the flats.  Its a great line just don't get crazy with the strength of your leader setup and keep it 20lbs or less.  I learned that lesson the hard way.

1 min ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I loved my Coastal Quickshooter but I accidentally killed that line because unfortunately I did not realize the core strength is less than 30lbs.  I was using a 30lb leader and broke my fly line core.  I liked the Coastal because since its a mono core I could have a clear intermediate tip for the flats.  Its a great line just don't get crazy with the strength of your leader setup and keep it 20lbs or less.  I learned that lesson the hard way.

Well, to be honest my Coastal Quickshooter snapped in half.

I know several others out my way it has happened to as well.

I do like the taper but have found the Rio lines with mono core leave a lot to be desired as far as durability.

I've been using the Airflo Beach full intermediate line for the past year. The whole line is clear.

Doesn't cast as nicely as the CQ but the durability has been outstanding.

SF

21 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Goes to show you ( me actually ) that something can be learned every day. I have been using 30 # and some 25 #. Luckily the fish that have accomodated me this season were smallies.

I have the Coastal Quickshooter XP in 9 & 10 wts...no issues with cracking or breaking yet, but the running line does get some tangling issues.  I have the Airflo Beach line as well in a 6wt, and ordered an 8wt a few days ago.  The 8wt intermediate is 300gr and the floater is 320 I think...could work for a 9wt as well, but I wish they made them in heaver weights too.