PrunedaleMike

Lubing bronze bushings

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I have a bronze bushing that supports the spindle on the a custom mag brake on a Record 60 reel. The spindle itself spins on two ABEC 7 ceramic bearings. Should I lube the bronze bushing? If so , what are your suggestions on which product I should use?

Thanks ,

Mike

I have used regular sewing machine oil (pure mineral oil) and ATF oil to lube the spool bushings in my Ambassadeur reels and older Penns over the last few decades and they work fine. 

The same oil you use to lubricate the ball bearings should be fine for the bushings. 

I have read in reedsreels that the way to go is polishing the inside of the plain bearing. I don't recall that he mentions lubes. Is the bushing a size that could be replaced with a ball bearing?

36 mins ago, Kent I said:

I have read in reedsreels that the way to go is polishing the inside of the plain bearing. I don't recall that he mentions lubes. Is the bushing a size that could be replaced with a ball bearing?

Unfortunately, the bushing is a non-replacable part due to the bushing is part of the PMR mag brake in a replacement side cover.

Thanks for answering 

1 hour ago, Kent I said:

This article is a little lengthy, but has good information on improving your bushing, and at the end has some info about oils.

http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/reeltuningoldambassadeurs.pdf

Hey Kent,

Good info link. Polishing to a mirror finish is always the best way. Years ago , friends of mine used Pearl Drops on the mechanical parts , bushings, gearing, etc. 

I personally polish the drag plate, spindle, and pinion gearing using jeweler rouge and my Dremel.

Never thought about that bushing.

Thanks again

B4loran,

Lithium grease had been a consideration as I use it on my pop-up camper cables but it seemed thick for this application. I was also considering moly-mineral oil combo I use on my air rifle triggers. Have to check compatibility first. 

I like the Kent's input on polishing . Combine polishing with the right lube , Zaa Zam, ultra smoooth !

Thanks for the input.

FWIW, The older Penn reels, models like the 155 and 200 had bushings. All i used on those reels years ago was the Penn lube. On the older Abu 6000 and the green 7000B, those reels had stock bushing. Polishing the inside hole of the bushing and a drop of valve oil is what I used on those reels. I still use the valve oil today on reels with end cap bushings.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:35 AM, PrunedaleMike said:

Hey Guys,

I have a bronze bushing that supports the spindle on the a custom mag brake on a Record 60 reel. The spindle itself spins on two ABEC 7 ceramic bearings. Should I lube the bronze bushing? If so , what are your suggestions on which product I should use?

Thanks ,

Mike

Those bushings are bronze? They prolly are brass 

I’m down in Port Charlotte Fl. And was on the internet. There is a guy  down here that Super Tunes old reels 

look him up     Fishing Franks. 

He has a website all about tuning them and how to go about it?  

You can even e mail him about a problem.   Also mail reel and he will Super tune it for you ?  Reasonable also.   Replaces parts   

Check it out      ccb

Edited by ccb