Fishin Technician

FLY REELS THAT YOU STARTED YOUR CAREER WITH

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I only started fishing in 2008, so it was an entry level Ross trout reel for me, forget the exact model, still have it at home and still use it occasionally. With a little TLC, it's fully functional. Very cool to see some older reels here though

Back in the eighties I had for a short time a Valentine planetary 375 model in the flat gold finish. I never could get used to it. The company still produces good reels . At one time they had a rugged version of the Medalist that still pops up now and then used. http://www.valentineflyreel.com/

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

Medalist 1494 1/2 on a Fenwick FF 806 - my dad bought the set up for a trip to the Idaho mountains in late '70's, and he never really got into fly fishing so it became mine.  I still have the set up and still use it in freshwater.  

1 hour ago, jalthoff said:

Medalist 1494 1/2 on a Fenwick FF 806 - my dad bought the set up for a trip to the Idaho mountains in late '70's, and he never really got into fly fishing so it became mine.  I still have the set up and still use it in freshwater.  

That's a great outfit. I've got both that reel and rod. Always partial to old Fenwick Feralite glass rods.

In 1968 I got a Horrocks and Ibbotson 7.5 ft Combo for a "C" Level line for my 12th Birthday.  Folks bought it at the Hardware and Feed store in the middle of town.  Worked for everything LOL, Trout to Bluegills and Bass, until a bluefish tried to remove my thumbs!  It hit a bucktail streamer tied on a chestertown flounder hook! Then Medalists from 1494's to 1498's  30#+ barracuda a Daiwa 9' 8wt and 30# + Striper on a 1498 and a Fenwick 8' Fiberglass that I still fish occasionally for FW Bass. Then a Martin MG8 for bones on a Loomis IM6 in the Bahamas.  I still keep an older  80's Sage Graphite II (I think) That I used for Salt Water in the Keys and in Ireland for Salmon.  I caught a 40+ yellowfin on that rod too.  Totally out gunned on that one! Now its TFO Rods mostly and Galvans, a Fin Nor and a Pate,  and whatever pops up in my hand when I'm banging around in the shop and decide to go outback for some Bluegills or Bass!

Pflueger 1498 mounted upon a 10wt Fenwick world class rod I built and an 11wt Tri-angle taper floating line.Took it to Nantucket in 1986 to catch blues and bass off the beach at Great Point after work almost every night that summer.The rod has passed away years ago but still use the reel and line today.Of course,it sits with about a 2dozen other reels now.When I see the Pfluegers on auction,yard,and for sale sites I will pick them up.Lots of fun fishing those reels.

Posted (edited) · Report post

my first saltwater fly reel was a Shakespeare something.  Then the SciAnglers system 2 and then a Fin Nor the first ones after the wedding cakes.  Still have the Fin Nor but it was an ok reel ands have not used it in 25 years--sitting on a shelf with my Fin Nor spinning reel 

$_35.JPG

Edited by bhorsley

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, Fishin Technician said:

Reversing the medalist from left to right or right to left was always interesting, but was not too difficult. Ever see a medalist with an agate ring line guard ?

FT

I've seen and own a few with round line guards but wasn't aware there were agate versions...….would love to see a pic!

My interest in fly reel began recently compared to others on this post.  The first purchase, based on appearance was a Fin Nor Fr 10 large arbor cork drag reel, due solely on the he Fin Nor history.  Second was a Alutecnos 10 wt based on Jr Spey's recommendation on his Just Reels website.

I really loved these reels and happily fished them in the Florida surf.  Sadly, I bought into the ultra light weight, sealed drag, hi tech concepts and sold  them for a couple of Lamsons.  Lamsons are very good reel you understand, but f were simply uninvolved (but competent) fishing tools.

I missed the occasional maintenance required, the elegant engineering and the beauty of  those cork drag reels and finally realized that, for me, the pleasure of fishing with them was a bonus.

I have since used  Tibors and Abels, both of which are fine reels, but have searched out a pair of the original Fin Nor and Alutecnos models which are now my go to fishing tools.

I would rate both, especially the Alutecnos (made in Italy by the folks that produce the highly rated big game reels)  at least the equal of the current crop of highly regarded cork drag reels.