Fishin Technician

FLY REELS THAT YOU STARTED YOUR CAREER WITH

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

My first fly reel was a Daiwa 232 that I bought when I was about 13 or so in the late 60’s.  It was an easy choice, because it was the only fly reel the store had.  Cost was $8.95, if I remember correctly.  Being in Brooklyn, I didn’t really have any FF opportunities, so I didn’t learn how until I was about 24.  I used this reel, coupled with an Orvis glass rod, to catch my first trout.  I still have both, of course.

By the way, that Pflueger Trump reel and the mating 461F rod was first outfit that I absolutely craved when I was a kid drooling over the tackle catalogs.  I couldn’t afford it back then, nor did I have any place to even buy it.  Of course I have that outfit now. :)

Edited by gadabout

A few Tibor / Pate DD reels that I acquired when I sold tackle at a plus 20% profit. The Salmon model back then at dealer cost was $265.00, the bonefish plus $10. and the Tarpon $285.00. Color was an additional $10.00. The Charlton system 3 was a recently acquired bonus item.

The old stuff cannot be replaced but insurance is always helpful.

Regards, FT

100_2265[1].JPG

100_2266[1].JPG

My first was a Martin “tuna can”, one of the 6x series. I still have one as a nostalgia piece, though not that first one. It went as a gift to a Russian Orthodox priest that would take a fly fishing trip/vacation every year into some part of British Columbia. He needed a backup reel and I was happy to accommodate.

My favorite nowadays is an Orvis Battenkill II 3/4, but there are quite a few others in the rotation, Ross, Nautilus, Pflueger, etc, etc.....

In 1965 - Beaudex LW was first, then a Landex and an Abu Delta 5.  In 1970, Medalist 1495 and 1498, and Pflueger Supreme 577 and 577.  Orvis Battenkill 7/8 that I still have.  Had a wedding cake Fin-Nor and a Seamaster that I foolishly sold.  First Tibor was an Everglades around 2000 then my wallet went all down hill from there with more Tibors, an Abel, some Islanders. 

Not asked, but my first fly rod was a Montague about 1957 - no reel only a length of line tied to the tip top to reach under the bridge near our house - catfish, bullheads, suckers, stocker trout. 

Edited by SnookFly
corrected a date

The first reel I bought was a Perrine automatic in about 1967.  Within the next year, I bought a Herters single action reel that had no porting.  I used this reel for the next 20 years, until I started targeting fish that might take line from the reel.

Ted

Started with a 1494. Car window got smashed and lost a bunch of fly gear.  I upgraded to a 3 3/8 hardy perfect in 82. Got it from joe’s tackle for $99 when my son was born. It has a unique and distinctive click that no other reel has.  Over the years I picked up 3 extra spools for it. 6 WTs were more common for trout in the 80s.  That reel hasn’t seen daylight in a while.  First saltwater reel was a Martin MD9.

Hi

Christmas1974 or 1975, I think , a Gladding Intrepid reel with a 4 at double taper line, with a glass fibre Shakespeare Pinvin Deluxe rod . Thanks to my uncle Jim and auntie Jean.  Uncle Jim had recently had a stroke so he gave me his fly tying kit too. My best Christmas ever, also got a bike , a microscope and an Action Man. Must have been a good boy!

Jim

I started in freshwater so my first was a True Temper wannabe Medalist followed by a Shakespere automatic, followed by a Johnson Magnetic (still have the Johnson on the 7' 6wt Fenwick Brown glass rod I used it on). Still have a Granger 8' 6wt glass rod I used back in those days as well.... I don't get rid of much :(

Edited by Jim DE