Fishin Technician

FLY REELS THAT YOU STARTED YOUR CAREER WITH

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

These two beauties are the first two fly reels that I began with. One is a J.C. Higgins and the other a Pfleuger Trump ( :) ) # 576.

I have no memory of how I obtained them except that the two people that donated these to me when I was young, were old men. A nine year olds vision of old at that time was anyone older than twenty years of age.

The matching rods, I have no clue or remembrance of what they were.

I used these reels for pan fish in local ponds in and around Lake Ronkonkoma when I first learned how to cast tangles of line.

It used to be virgin waters at one time, Lake Ronkonkoma .

Regards,

FT

100_2276.JPG

100_2278.JPG

100_2279.JPG

Edited by Fishin Technician

I would think people in my age bracket would say that their fly fishing career began with the the Pflueger Medalist. For me it was the model 1492 and 1494 and as I got older, I can't remember for the life of me was next when I moved on to my next reel that was not a Pflueger. I can't remember for sure if it was the Orvis CFO, I think growing up my father was a big Orvis guy who fished bamboo his whole life so it may well have been. I did not move up to bamboo because I was in the the era of of glass and graphite, the rods changed but the reels remained the same for a long time until I finally lost my CFO which was a bought with a package from Orvis, it was the Golden Eagle in a 7 1/2 ft 5 wt package and lost it when I left it on a picnic table a Little Pond. From that point it has been a number of reels, I think the hardy Princess was my next big name reel as I was now into building my own rods. From there I really don't remember what came next next. At the present time I have some Orvis, LL Bean and newer Pflueger reels for freshwater which is what I grew up on. I'll keep it limited to that.

Edited by bonefishdick

Orvis Battenkill disc 9/10. Gave to my son

Sold:

Abel 9N

Ross Gunnisen

Islander

Still have:

Bauer MX4 and 5

Danielsson

Nautilus NV

A Sage and a Battenkill #6 for my 2 handers

I feel the pain of losing something....a few times.

The Medalist reels were my upgrades and they did a great job at doing what they were made to do.

Back in my Vermont years in the seventies, I had an inside Orvis connection that sold tackle at their cost. Some how I acquired every Hardy made click and pawl C.F.O. reel if I needed it or not from a  #1, 123 and up to a VI times 2 or 3.

I have sold off the smaller and the sixes and kept a few, three, fours, and fives plus a few spools remain, that are the keepers of the C.F.O. collection.

Orvis glass rods were quite good. I had a few including that combo fly / spin with an Orvis 50A spin reel. I still have the reel and it is an Italian sweetheart made by Alcedo.

Old tackle are toy's to be used , appreciated and remembered !

They don't make tackle or people like they used to. Built to last was the requirements. JMHO.

Regards, FT

100_2280[1].JPG

SA System 2 reel as part of a Combo under $100.00 in the mid 90's, 4 Tioga Reels 2 - 8 wts and 2 - 10 wts

S/A System 2 in 8 wt. configuration. Used them on SA rods.  The Tioga 10 wts went on a Thomas & Thomas Heritage 10 wt Rod and The other 10 Wt on a GLoomis GL3

Lost the first Tioga 10 wt with the T & T rod because I forgot to tie it down..  Still have the second Tioga 10 wt, but blew up the 20 year old CL 3 above the 2 piece ferrule.  That Tioga is on a GLoomis Pro 4 ten Wt. and I received a gift for Christmas 4 years ago when I received a 4 piece, St. Croix 10 wt Legend Elite partnered up with a  10 Et  Shu-Fly ree.l

RT,

As you well know the SA reels that were made by B.F.R. / British Fly Reel that was later purchased by Orvis and closed down were excellent reels for the time period. The motto "will stop a train " was close but the down fall of this reel was not the reel itself, but the adhesive that they applied to the brake pads. It was only hot glue! Big fish, heat and the pad fell off always within the reel cage. A re apply with 2 part epoxy always solved the issue. The pads are still available.

I always rely on my SA 2's that were UK made. I have a few left that I use.

These are keepers.

Regards, FT

100_2281[1].JPG

100_2282[1].JPG

I started with a SA System 2, that got fried by many albies. Next was a Sage 709 (Loop). After that I picked up some Tibors, Islanders and Charltons. I still have the majority of them but don't flyfish as much as I used to.  

26 mins ago, Fishin Technician said:

I was golden with 25 cents a week !

FT

Haha! I was lucky, the men at the boatyard across the street paid me 50 cents a day to scrape, caulk and paint their boats. Hmm, maybe they were lucky, but I loved working on boats so it's all good...

2 hours ago, Fishin Technician said:

I feel the pain of losing something....a few times.

The Medalist reels were my upgrades and they did a great job at doing what they were made to do.

Back in my Vermont years in the seventies, I had an inside Orvis connection that sold tackle at their cost. Some how I acquired every Hardy made click and pawl C.F.O. reel if I needed it or not from a  #1, 123 and up to a VI times 2 or 3.

I have sold off the smaller and the sixes and kept a few, three, fours, and fives plus a few spools remain, that are the keepers of the C.F.O. collection.

Orvis glass rods were quite good. I had a few including that combo fly / spin with an Orvis 50A spin reel. I still have the reel and it is an Italian sweetheart made by Alcedo.

Old tackle are toy's to be used , appreciated and remembered !

They don't make tackle or people like they used to. Built to last was the requirements. JMHO.

Regards, FT

100_2280[1].JPG

Love the CFO's, I still use a couple. Like many started with Medalists then discovered Hardys , CFO's, SA's, Fin Nor and the rest. Most of my fishing is now with CFO's, Loops, and Islanders.

A few Cortland / Leeda / BFR 4 inch Magnum reels for pike and  bass bugging.

Magnums are sleeper reels. Quick line retrieve for sub 25 pound fish that don't go too far. 

It's all about taking inventory at the end of the year to document and insure stuff.

100_2285[1].JPG

100_2286[1].JPG