Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stryper Snyper

Delaware proposal to raise surf tag price

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

From an online article. 

Also said proposing to limit number of tags sold to 17000.

DNREC’s Division of Parks & Recreation is proposing raising the surf fishing permit fees to $90 for Delaware residents, an increase of $10. Out-of-state residents would pay $180 for the annual surf fishing permit, an increase of $20. Surf-fishing permit holders would continue to receive the additional benefit of their permit serving as an annual pass, providing free access to all 17 of Delaware’s state parks. 

I checked today on there website. My out of state senior tag for 2019 is still $ 140.00 .  When are the fees going up. They should enforce the fishing only rule better, and send the party and barbeque folk to the regular swimming beaches. I report every SOB that I see not fishing, no rod in the water.  :beatin: I better get mine soon.

Edited by hunter123

3 hours ago, Beachman22 said:

I wish they limit sales to 15,000 an like Hunter said better enforcement.

They said in newspaper article that the increase will pay for another park ranger.

17000 x $10 = $170000 ($200k is probably closer factoring in the out of state license)

I need an application for that position. 

Before anyone jumps on the limiting tags idea, consider the following:

Currently, volunteer firefighters get free tags. Will they be exempt from the limit? Will they be given a priority for permits?

Tags are issued for one year or two years. Depending on how this is implemented, folks who are halfway through a two year cycle, may get the short end next year, as the limited number of tags was fulfilled this year.

What about folks who payed huge sums of money for low digit tags? They need to renew every year, or the tags can be reissued. Could you imagine paying 10k for specific tag # only to be told youve lost it because you were not among the first in line to purchase during  the following year?

Low digit tag holders could be given priority on tag renewal. With 10,000 low digit tags, that means well over half the available tags could already be reserved. Low digit tag prices would increase and lead to only the high bidders being allowed beach fishing vehicle access.

Free firefighter and expensive low digit tags could theoretically reach 17, 000 before any of us  "common folk" even have a chance.

I agree with WOK.  No limiting of tags. I like the enforcement idea better. The real good thing about the Delaware seashore is it's still owned by the state. They need it for the revenue it generates from sun worshipers and fisherman. They need the beaches as much as we do. Now take A.I. , Government owned , government can ruin things, like what's happening on A.I. VA side. Eventually we will lose the Drive on sections on the Maryland and VA sides. The Gov wants the island to become wild again. It's always about the money. I still better get my tag renewed asap.

16 hours ago, slackline said:

17000 x $10 = $170000 ($200k is probably closer factoring in the out of state license)

I need an application for that position. 

Except there are a ton of free tags stashed in there.

3 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

So the question is are the free tags part of the number sold??  How many "free " tags are given?   

I may be wrong on this but I vaguely remember seeing the number 3,000.  

But again,I could be way off

I think most first responders can get a free tag. Fire, ambulance and military. I do know a couple of guys that pay anyway.

hunter123-I don’t think we’ll see  any more enforcement than we do now. 

I think the rangers do the best job they can enforcing the surf fishing regs, given their allotted time and resources. I also have no doubt that DNREC takes heed of our concerns and wants to see more enforcement for folks not actively engaged in fishing. Several years ago they limited parking on the beach to single file and have really stepped up their equipment/safety checkpoints. They have my respect for the jobs they do. 

However, I could see any increase in revenue being quickly sidetracked to things rightfully more important than staking out the guy that doesnt have a "line in the water".

I think the best solution (of many bad solutions) is to limit number of vehicles on the beach at one time. Set a number that wouldn't impact Spring or Fall fishermen, but would  stop door to door parking during summer.  It would disproportianally affect folks coming out primarily for BBQ's, volleyball, and sunbathing. While some fishermen would also be turned away, they as a population, tend to arrive on the beach earlier and the non fishing crowds usually leave by 6 or 7pm. DNREC can still make their money on surftags, we reduce resource impact, and increase enjoyment of all recreation on the beach.

As I said, best of many bad solutions, but currently has my vote. Feel free to change my mind with additional facts/logic.