SalamiSausage

Help! Anyone has experience w/ fishing in Southeast Asia?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Talking about Thai, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. here. 

I am interested in shore/surf based lure fishing in those area (absolutely hate charter boats). Has anyone done or heard of surf fishing there?

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Use Search for specific destinations and specific fish. There's a current thread right now on GTs. 

Don't have any specific location or targeted species yet because I just came up with the whole idea, but from what I have read so far on Google implies land-based fishing is not as good as I had imagined(overfished)...

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:25 PM, SalamiSausage said:

Talking about Thai, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. here. 

I am interested in shore/surf based lure fishing in those area (absolutely hate charter boats). Has anyone done or heard of surf fishing there?

perhaps Mangrove jack will chime in,he know the ropes all around those parts.

HH

My friend used to catch massive catfish in ponds in Singapore. Said fishing was garbage other than that. He lived there for 4yrs. He fished mainly bait for the cats but I'm not sure if he ever tried plugging the beach

2 hours ago, DutchGFX said:

My friend used to catch massive catfish in ponds in Singapore. Said fishing was garbage other than that. He lived there for 4yrs. He fished mainly bait for the cats but I'm not sure if he ever tried plugging the beach

IKR, I know a Singaporian guy and probably that's why he always goes offshore. But I would like to stay away from boats as much as I can for now. There is something special about setting your feet on the ground and casting to the open ocean. 

I used to go on surf trips to the Mentawai Islands, Indonesia. If your willing to go on some crazy adventures on small boats to remote islands the fishing can be insane. Whenever the surf was flat, I would spearfish the same reefs that I surfed over. It gave me a great perspective of what the consequences would be of falling off of some of the best waves in the world. Lots of fish, including sharks. I didn't have a rod, but during the extreme tidal shifts between the inner mangrove swamps of the island and the ocean, I could see giant Trevally and all sorts of fish cruising the inlet. I speared bluefin trevally, grouper, reef snapper, and parrot fish on a daily basis when the waves were flat. There was this crazy, bright red reef snapper that tasted and had the exact same consistency of lobster! Probably not worth it if it was simply a fishing trip, as it's so far out of the way. 

I lived in the Philippines.  The fishing, both spear and rod and reel around Batangas was great.  Groupers, picking up spiny lobsters off the ocean floor, and just about everything about it was wonderful.  From the banca boat guys breaking out the rice "wine",  to the young ladies at the beach nipa huts afterward.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/30/2018 at 2:16 AM, Roddy said:

perhaps Mangrove jack will chime in,he know the ropes all around those parts.

HH

My experience is only in Sri Lanka.

Here too like all places, when the fishing is good it's fantastic, when its bad it sucks. 

We catch Barracuda up to 20 pounds, Barramundi up to 30 pounds, GT up to 70 pounds, Queen fish up to 16 pounds which are fantastic on light tackle, Narrow Barred Spanish Mackerel up to 40 pounds (cousin of the Wahoo), etc from the shore and jetties.

Plugging works well both in the day and night, and silver spoons in the mornings just as it dawns. Shore fishing from the harbours and at estuary mouths (river entrances into the sea) are the best places to fish from. 

If you search my posts on this website you will find quite a bit of info on plugging and shore fishing in Sri Lanka. 

I too dislike boat fishing and all my fishing is done with my feet firmly planted on the shore or a breakwater / pier. The only times I fish off a boat is when fishing for Barramundi or Mangrove Jack in inland lagoons. 

Edited by Mangrove Jack

45 mins ago, Mangrove Jack said:

My experience is only in Sri Lanka.

Here too like all places, when the fishing is good it's fantastic, when its bad it sucks. 

We catch Barracuda up to 20 pounds, Barramundi up to 30 pounds, GT up to 70 pounds, Queen fish up to 16 pounds which are fantastic on light tackle, Narrow Barred Spanish Mackerel up to 40 pounds (cousin of the Wahoo), etc from the shore and jetties.

Plugging works well both in the day and night, and silver spoons in the mornings just as it dawns. Shore fishing from the harbours and at estuary mouths (river entrances into the sea) are the best places to fish from. 

If you search my posts on this website you will find quite a bit of info on plugging and shore fishing in Sri Lanka. 

I too dislike boat fishing and all my fishing is done with my feet firmly planted on the shore or a breakwater / pier. The only times I fish off a boat is when fishing for Barramundi or Mangrove Jack in inland lagoons. 

sorry MJ,I thought you mentioned that you fished the area the OP asked about.

hope you are catching,,,

HH

On 12/30/2018 at 5:44 AM, DoorGunner said:

Fished a bay in Vietnam in 69. Make sure you bring an automatic rifle.

Things may have changed a bit since you were there.  I hope so. 

Veterans don't easily talk about experiences in wartime with non-vets, it's a different planet. That said, if you ever feel like gabbing, feel free. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the part of the world the OP is inquiring, as well as many industrialized places in the world, you need to travel far away from urbanized locations, nothing much from shore there, pollution and over fishing makes it difficult to hope for a decent land based spot in the highly populated areas.

Then you have the locations which are less urbanized, more on the natural landscape and at some distance from big towns or airports, there you will find beautiful resorts for all budgets, the shoreline may be wonderful and less polluted but the impact of over fishing /dynamiting is still there, so the tourism industry /resorts promote the creation of sanctuaries or natural reserves / artificial reefs to bring back some local indigenous marine life, which attracts snorkelers/divers.

Needless to say that in these resorts, fishing from shore is generally frowned upon, when not completely forbidden. They will sometimes propose offshore fishing for pelagic's or bottom jigging but it is unlikely to plant your rod on a sandy beach in the vicinity. This is where artificial ponds loaded with trapped fish of all sorts came in, to satisfy a fishing experience for the picture seeker. 

So if you want a true chance in catching from shore, you need to go beyond these areas to remote places where only few people live, this entails a heavy expedition with the requirement of camping/supplies/fresh water since far away from any market. It is also a must to be accompanied with locals that have strong ties with the specific productive spot for security and entrance fee purposes.

This can be arranged with reliable local tackle shops, but comes at a relatively high price. 

Once the trip organized you can have a complete blast with memorable catches or skunk as it goes with fishing.

If organizing a fishing trip located abroad and depending on the targeted country, I'd recommend using a reputable fishing tour operator, where all is included in the round trip, no surprises there and you can go to the most faraway critical areas that still hold amazing fish from shore in the globe, with proper setup/security and safety provisions. 

One of the nicest places I've seen for Surfcasting where you can go on your own without assistance is New Zealand; miles of pristine sandy coast suitable for bait or lure casting, you can rent a 4X4 and the horizon is the limit, very friendly people and safe place. Australia is very interesting for the matter too, along with Florida/Bahamas; these are among the few remaining spots blessed with full commodities and  productive land based fishing.  

Edited by carangua