dbjpb

Nice day for a paddle/pedal

21 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

Merry Christmas! Only a few months til spring! We've already gained a few minutes extra daylight!

Something I’ve never really managed to get my head around... we’re past the halfway mark but have the majority of the cold and challenging weather ahead of us ...

That was exactly what I needed, an idiot proof explanation... tx :th:

... bottom line (if I’ve understood correctly) is because the sun’s rays hit at an ‘greater’ oblique angle thus with less energy even though with a longer duration ... gotcha.

Punched once by a boxer vs 100 times by a toddler

Edited by Africaster

Just now, Africaster said:

That was exactly what I needed, an idiot proof explanation... tx :th:

... bottom line (if I’ve understood correctly) is because the sun’s rays hit at an ‘greater’ oblique angle thus with less energy even though with a longer duration ... gotcha.

Punched once by a boxer vs 100 times by a toddler

5 hours ago, oceanspray said:

Has to do with the Earth's northern axis tilted away from the Sun at the Winter Solstice. 

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast161/Unit2/seasons.html  

1 hour ago, Rick67 said:

Still not completely idiot proof cause I'm not getting it.

3 bottles of whiskey will give you alcohol poisoning  ... whereas 3 bottles  of beer will give a buzz ... both are primarily water (sunlight) ... the whiskey sunrays are at 90* to the earth’s surface  (a full blow) and the beer sunrays are at 67* to the earth’s surface (a glancing blow) ... so you need many more glancing blows to equal the effect of a single direct blow.

So winter = beer= glancing blow from the sun = good time of year to be Irish? Dad bought me boxing gloves as a youth? I wonder if that is why my ears are often ringing?  I think?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Glad to see someone got to enjoy it! With a break like today, it doesn’t even matter if you catch a fish or not! 

I’m in the navy and I work on a ship. All day today, the water was so calm, I could hardly even see it. It was in the low 70’s and there were schools of bait all around the ship. I wanted to blow my brains out ever time I went topside today.... :(

Edited by Matt7082

Matt, thank you for your service. Coronado, Norfolk, where were you if you can say. So flat in Long Island sound, NY yesterday, when I drove up it looked like all ice, water was 37F. Mother Nature granted me perfect weather, and as I expected, nary a tap or tug.

8 hours ago, cheech said:

Matt, thank you for your service. Coronado, Norfolk, where were you if you can say. So flat in Long Island sound, NY yesterday, when I drove up it looked like all ice, water was 37F. Mother Nature granted me perfect weather, and as I expected, nary a tap or tug.

Thanks. I’m in Norfolk. Grew up on the coast in CT.