Accurate Tern Distance Casting

Rate this topic

Laosy

3 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Not so much, but any good star drag is doable for the surf. I the case of the Tern the OP better have a good thumb or just get it magged.

True. 

There are so many excellent star drag reels meant for the casting angler these days ...  

34 mins ago, BrianBM said:

True. 

There are so many excellent star drag reels meant for the casting angler these days ...  

Almost all the best high end star drag conventional reels on the market never seem like they were designed for actual surf casting.

The Torque, Tesoro, Trinidad, and Tern have no casting brakes.

The Seigler might be the only exception.

I am happy with my Mag 525 (admittedly out of production).  The Squall has a centrifugal system, I think. AFAIK the Lexas and other low-profile baitcasters do too. The Saltigas do, though the current production Saltigas don't have a specific surfcasting model the way that the earlier Saltiga conventionals did. 

We do have one member at least who uses a Seigler for plugging and jigging at the CCC.  I'm a little wary of it because the company recommendation is that it be used for 3-16 oz. payloads, so it's a reel best suited for drum casters and other 8-and-bait anglers.  I don't know what it is that Avet is planning to introduce. 

7 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I am happy with my Mag 525 (admittedly out of production).  The Squall has a centrifugal system, I think. AFAIK the Lexas and other low-profile baitcasters do too. The Saltigas do, though the current production Saltigas don't have a specific surfcasting model the way that the earlier Saltiga conventionals did. 

We do have one member at least who uses a Seigler for plugging and jigging at the CCC.  I'm a little wary of it because the company recommendation is that it be used for 3-16 oz. payloads, so it's a reel best suited for drum casters and other 8-and-bait anglers.  I don't know what it is that Avet is planning to introduce. 

Like I said, most all the high end conventional star drag reels do not have casting brakes.

I don't know much about the Saltiga, but what I have read about it indicates it does not have casting brakes.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

Like I said, most all the high end conventional star drag reels do not have casting brakes.

I don't know much about the Saltiga, but what I have read about it indicates it does not have casting brakes.

true it does not have brakes, but if you look at the exploded view diagram on the Daiwa site, there is more room for fixed mags then there is on my Saltist 30 level wind, and that took me all of about 10 minutes.  Conversely, there is also plenty of room for a single knobby mag mod - I'll be Ryan White (Hatteras Jack's) already has one worked out.

6 hours ago, FlatWing said:

true it does not have brakes, but if you look at the exploded view diagram on the Daiwa site, there is more room for fixed mags then there is on my Saltist 30 level wind, and that took me all of about 10 minutes.  Conversely, there is also plenty of room for a single knobby mag mod - I'll be Ryan White (Hatteras Jack's) already has one worked out.

A knobby mag sounds like the way too go, I want to eventually get a knobby mag for my Tesoro 5.

These star drags have some incredible free spin out of the box, without casting brakes I feel like it is living life on the edge with them.

When I looked at the Saltist 30 level wind, I was amazed that a spool driving a level wind pawl could free spin that long.  The way I did my fixed mags was to stack two mags - this gives me enough control with 65lb test and a cut-down (6 inches from the tip) All Star BGSW1206-2 that I can throw 1 1/2 to 3oz lead head shad/bucktails into a strong NE without blowing up and still drop the jig in front of the opposite wall in the PP Canal.  I figure if I ever want to throw 8-n-bait at night w/o trying to see the line lay on my ABU 7000c3CT, this is the reel I will use on my 12ft Shimano Tirelejo conventional, after removing one of the mags from the stack.