Astronaut

ODM Jiggster Vs Century 1328

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I use the 1327 and like it a lot. 

Sp minnows to biggest magic swimmers and savages.

I like the bend with a good fish on.

How far up do you go with the savages in terms of oz?

Just my input. The jigster really is a great all around canal rod. Jigs, topwaters, magic swimmers, it handles them all. It basically became the only rod I'd carry every night on the ditch. I've also pushed its weight requirements on both ends. It throws an SP minnow without issue and also throws 10 oz and a large dead eel for sharks with ease.

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

That is what we call different strokes for different folks, Borrow one from a friend and give it a try before you  spend the cash 

Or go to the casting event and try many different rods

20 hours ago, Astronaut said:

Does anyone have any experience with both of these rods? I'm looking for a rod for next year for all ranges at the canal. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. 

This has been said many times, but here I go again... No rod can do it all effectively. Even though it's been said a thousand times, it does seem somebody always jumps in with their :airquote: do it all rod that they are very happy with.

Rods have whats called a "sweet spot", all rods have it, and all rods suffer in some performance aspect the further away you get from the stick's optimal casting point. Anybody who tells you "it casts a half ounce minnow as well as it does a 5 ounce jig" is in need of sensitivity training! 

Is there a rod that best covers say 1-3.5 ounces, sure countless examples exist. You would be better served IMO, getting a dedicated plugger and a dedicated jigger though. Not knowing which is your preference at the canal, its hard to give good advice. If I go to the canal with one rod, it would be something rated 2-6oz. (FSC in my case). I do that knowing that I've lost lifting power and sensitivity on my heavy jigs and I can't work the light stuff quite as well either. Do able... hell yeah. Optimal.... mmmmm, not really. 

Just wanted to add that I'd rather be at the canal fishing an ugly stik, with a bead on the bite, than a pleasant to fish rod yet have no idea what's going on that day.

Never forget it's the golfer that makes the score-- not his fancy clubs.

I know this isnt what OP asked, or even implied, but I feel the shift to ultra high quality rods comes with the expectation that fish will justly follow. Doesnt work that way. Time on water is a fisherman's most valuable tool-- not his rod

Edited by rst3

There are 4/5 posts here that mention the ODM Jigsster as a great all around rod. I tried one recently with a 5 oz. jig and it's very nice. It's not just the rod that cathes stripers. Grinding it out and spending Max amount of time you have is Important. All your own preferances I guess. Try one out and see waht you think. 

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Just wanted to add that I'd rather be at the canal fishing an ugly stik, with a bead on the bite, than a pleasant to fish rod yet have no idea what's going on that day.

Never forget it's the golfer that makes the score-- not his fancy clubs.

I know this isnt what OP asked, or even implied, but I feel the shift to ultra high quality rods comes with the expectation that fish will justly follow. Doesnt work that way. Time on water is a fisherman's most valuable tool-- not his rod

I'd absolutely agree with this however I'd like to add that some people buy the high end gear because they put the time in on the water. If your only going to fish the canal a few times in a season then it doesn't make sense to spend big money on your gear. If however your down there 5 nights a week then there really is no reason to limit yourself to sub par gear when these new technologies are available to us.

I can vouch for the 1328. It has it's pros and cons but a good "overall" rod on the ditch. It does have its limits when jigging real heavy and working the lighter swimmers. Good option if you aren't planning to have a dedicated Rod for plugging and jigging.