BrianBM

What happened to the manslaughter case?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

There was a collision, a year or three ago, involving a boat being moved from A to B. The guy who was delivering the boat set a course on the autopilot, left the helm, and may have been asleep when the boat hit another boat, killing at least one person.  A manslaughter case followed.

The case was discussed either here or in the Main Forum. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, what was the end of the matter?

Ah.  That name sounds familiar.

I've been gabbing with Makorider, in the Boating forum, about the features I'd like on my dream boat (and it'll stay a dream, we're talking seven figures and then some). He thinks I worry too much. He may be right, but I will take no chance on some idiot depriving me of being shot by an outraged husband on my 140th birthday. 

Bacon first plead not guilty...then changed his plea to guilty.

This is part of a recent article in the ctpost.

Prior to the collision, the defendant failed to take precautions required by the ordinary practice of a seaman,” according to a U.S. Attorney’s Office release.

“Bacon did not post his First Mate to lookout, did not make proper use of radar, and did not himself see the powerboat in time to avoid the collision. As a result of his failure to see the Peggy K, Bacon did not make passing arrangements, sound the horn, change course, slacken speed, or stop or reverse propulsion to avoid a collision.

“After the collision, Bacon failed to make proper use of the VHF marine radiotelephone by notifying the United States Coast Guard of the emergency.”

Krupinski died as a result of multiple blunt force injuries sustained when the 67,241-pound yacht ran up and over the open cockpit of the powerboat.

Bacon’s guilty plea before U.S. District Court Judge John J. McConnell, Jr., to seaman’s manslaughter was announced by United States Attorney Stephen G. Dambruch; Admiral Steven Poulin, Commander of the First Coast Guard District, United States Coast Guard; and Richard Cox, Special Agent in Charge of United States Coast Guard Investigative Service, New England Region.

Bacon is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 17.

Edited by Rmarsh

Well, as I was saying to Makorider, there's always Some Other Idiot out there to get you killed.  

How big a boat was the Peggy K?  Sounds like a CC. I do wonder why the deceased took no evasive action; was he at anchor, or disabled?

Is this the case where the irresponsible bastage that killed the guy got fined something ridiculous like $75? That was a sad story made sadder by the complete lack of accountability thus far. Setting your 70,000 pound boat on a course and then abandoning the helm should be a felony, even if there wasn't an accident. I hope he spends a decade in jail and loses a fortune in a civil suit bought by the deceased family. 

TimS

"Seaman's Manslaughter" sounds like a felony to me. The $75 fine was apparently something imposed by a local court of limited jurisdiction, the equivalent of a village JP. 

I doubt the defendant has the money to pay a worthwhile recovery, though of course you're right in any moral sense. 

20 mins ago, BrianBM said:

"Seaman's Manslaughter" sounds like a felony to me. The $75 fine was apparently something imposed by a local court of limited jurisdiction, the equivalent of a village JP. 

I doubt the defendant has the money to pay a worthwhile recovery, though of course you're right in any moral sense. 

The company that hired him is Princess Yachts - it was their boat. A 2015 Princess 60 goes for $1,500,000 - the company is private but I'd bet a quarter they have a **** ton of money - and the best lawyers money can buy. I'd be surprised if the captain that put the 60' yacht on auto pilot and left the helm - at 78 years old - doesn't have some kind of history as being an irresponsible captain. A good lawyer would be able to properly assign some percentage of the blame on the company that hired this guy. Except the best lawyers money can buy - like the one Princess Yachts would have on retainer - would price justice well outside the widow's reach. 

I obviously don't know anything about the captain personally...other than you don't usually start being dangerously irresponsible at 78 years old :read:

TimS

Ahh, a Princess?  

Makorider showed me a beautiful Tower walkaround fishing yacht, in a thread in Offshore Boating, about Seakeeper gyroscopic systems. If I win the lottery next week, I am still more interested in that one, but I'l;l take a look at Princess.  You wanna go fishing if i buy one? 

I wonder if this captain was regularly employed by Princess to move boats. I'll bet he was. 

Took a look at Princess' website.  ye Gods, TimS is So Right about that being a luxe-market firm. Not a fishing boat in the lineup, though. 

Now, that Tower 47' walkaround .... I like the general layout of the thing, but would prefer one with less luxe, something I could clean out with a hose.  

9 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Took a look at Princess' website.  ye Gods, TimS is So Right about that being a luxe-market firm. Not a fishing boat in the lineup, though.

When a used one goes for a million and a half :scared:

Go to Offshore Boating, the thread about Seakeeper Gyros, and on the second page you'll find my current lust object: the Tower 47' walkaround. I would probably configure mine (they're semi-custom) in a less luxe fashion, but as a fishing platform, dear Heavens. Obscenely beautiful. 

I'd be happy in a fast 28-32' center console...47' is a bit much to double anchor and retrieve them by yerself ;)

TimS

If it's semi-custom, then I'm sure you could specify a pulpit that would support TWO anchors. "Retrieve by hand?" HA! That's why there are winches. Or pairs of teen girls with good strong backs; hauling away would put a nice sheen of perspiration on 'em. .... naaah, stick with the winches. 

Hatteras yachts now owns the name for Cabo, and is introducing a new boat under that name. It won't be at the NY Boat Show, alas. Back when Cabo  was in business, they had a good reputation for the quality of their wiring. Every reviewer remarked on how cleanly the wires were bundled, identified, protected from chafing, and the quality of the connections. (I never did figure out what "aircraft quality connections" really means, but it certainly sounded good.)