Totoro

GSB1202L vs ODM Genesis vs Black Hole ECS?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2018 at 1:33 AM, Totoro said:

Unfortunately, there isnt a local store that carries all three so I am relying solely on member input.

With all 3 rods being factory built 10ft 2 piece 50/50 throwing 1oz on 30lb braid mainline, BG 4000; million dollar question...

Which would be "easier" to throw into the wind to get the same distance?

By "easier" I mean less tiring/fatigue/effort in casting?

Based solely on paper, the GSB is the lightest blank, followed by the BH ECS, then Genesis. But thats just paper and not the entire package.

Please feel free to elaborate as much or little, every bit helps me!

Thanks for the input!

If you're looking to pair a BG4000 with a surf rod ... I'm thinking a 9 footer will be more fun than a 10 footer. A 10 foot rod would better support a bigger reel IMHO. 

I just got a 9 foot ODM DNA ... and the BG4000 with 20 or 30lbs test braid seems pretty well balanced on the rod. Just an opinion. Good luck in your search & fishing!

5c26d6d3853c2_h81LvwqRj6zxQoOLSBwwA_thumb_36c5.jpg.30650181c1f6e4a636c42acc4e02b9b7.jpg

5c26d6d1bc066_g4ifN6QRP6bBzr94Pa0g_thumb_36c8.jpg.df78743310a03dac346add7697efd0e2.jpg

Thx KF!

Been thinking about the reel. I use 3k and 4k Stradics on my steelhead rods betweem 8.5 to 11.5 so hence my reasoning.

Scooby's suggestion on a 6k Ballistic LT is worth a peek!

Depends a lot on the lure. I have the Genesis and love it (the 9' is nicer than the 10' in my opinion). I've put 40lb fish on the 9' in current by the way with no issues. It has some serious guts and can throw 2.7 or so without issue. I think I must have somewhere like 1000 fish on the 9' and wouldn't trade it for anything. Mod fast sums it up.

Suzuki is an odd rod at 10'. Pretty moderate without much backbone. Make a great albie rod but I wouldn't want a big bass on it. The 9'6" has a lot more power and is faster, probably a little faster than the odm.

Edited by xjclint

3 hours ago, Totoro said:

@ksong, stripers up to 30lbs as a weight guestimate with lure weight range from 1-3oz.

Here is a video of casting 4.5 oz Magic Swimmer using 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod.

It is just testing and I don't recommend to cast 4 oz lures with the light rod.

You probably cast lure upto 2.5 oz comfortably using 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod which has more backbone than the 10' rod.

If you cast 3 oz a lot I recommend 9'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Striper or 10' Black Hole East Coast rod rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz.

But it is pure joy to use light  9'6" and 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods.

striper with 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod with 4.5 oz Magic Swimmer in the Cape Cod Canal.

20180816_192406.jpg

Edited by ksong

On 12/26/2018 at 11:37 AM, hobobob said:

Lamiglas does not make a good 2 piece blank or rod. so the gsb1202l is out. Surprisingly a lot of the smaller car can fit a single piece 9ft rod inside with reel on and all. So you can just grab the rod and go.  No need to mess around with assembling and disassembling a 2 piece rod. 

Wow. That's pretty extreme to say Lami does not make a good two piece.  I have a custom GSB1202M with a Shimano Spheros SW 6000 and I like it.  Ferrule does not seem to be an issue.  This objection to a ferrule is a carryover from the earlier decades.  Obviously a two piece is not going to be superior to a one piece but the ferrule is not an issue. For those of us that travel, especially with family, stuffing a 10 foot rod or two into a car with the top banging against the windshield is far from ideal and lenes itself to damage as well from kids, dog, whatever....My two piece rods travel safely in racks suspended from the headliner of the car on the inside.  And once I arrive at the ocean, I leave it setup for the whole trip.

Clearly if you live near your fishing grounds the one-piece is a no-brainer.  But a 50/50 split can make life a lot easier for some of us.

Tell us how you really feel.  lol  Op is asking for a 9fter, a 9fter can fit in most cars, easily.

Lets talk about lamiglas, lets said you need a new 2pc rod like the OP. compare your GSB1202M to all other similar price 2 piece rods in term of lure weight range, power, feel, etc.  Paying the same amount of money, why would anyone want to pay more to get less, brand loyalty? 

Still too harsh? How about just lamiglas. If any of your friends has a GSB1201M rod, cast it, fish it. Tell me it's no different from your 1202M.  Is there any 2 piece blank or rods from lamiglas fish the same or better than the old 1 piece? The 1 piece GSB line is the gold standard when other blank maker compare their blanks to.  Now if other smaller blank maker are able to make 2 piece blanks that's similar to the GSB 1pcs, or in some aspects even better, why can't lamiglas able to do it?  

To the OP I am not discounting all 2 pcs rods, Most of my surf rods are two piece. just to let you know both options are available, 

The ODM rods are in a league of their own.  The Genesis rods are right on the level of and better than most of the custom $500 rods.  IMHO the GSB blanks are obsolete in comparison to the rods on the current market. I fish the 9ft genesis and it’s great. For $325 you are getting an excellent product. 

4 hours ago, jsbergen said:

The ODM rods are in a league of their own.  The Genesis rods are right on the level of and better than most of the custom $500 rods.  IMHO the GSB blanks are obsolete in comparison to the rods on the current market. I fish the 9ft genesis and it’s great. For $325 you are getting an excellent product. 

I completely agree unless weight is a factor. The Genesis 9 weighs 11oz. The 9 ft skinner weighs 8oz. Hard to believe. Both could easily handle big fish.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:55 PM, Totoro said:

@ksong, thank you!

What is the sweet spot weight for 10' East Coast Special?

the sweet spot,  i use,  2-3 oz. with the 3/4-4 oz., 10ft.ECS...