Totoro

GSB1202L vs ODM Genesis vs Black Hole ECS?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, there isnt a local store that carries all three so I am relying solely on member input.

With all 3 rods being factory built 10ft 2 piece 50/50 throwing 1oz on 30lb braid mainline, BG 4000; million dollar question...

Which would be "easier" to throw into the wind to get the same distance?

By "easier" I mean less tiring/fatigue/effort in casting?

Based solely on paper, the GSB is the lightest blank, followed by the BH ECS, then Genesis. But thats just paper and not the entire package.

Please feel free to elaborate as much or little, every bit helps me!

Thanks for the input!

Edited by Totoro

Thanks for the reply fellas!

Reelfire, can you please elaborate on your suggestion?

TT, the New Coastside in Pacifica and Hi's Tackle in South City are the only two that I know of in the Bay Area that have ODM but not Lami or BH.

Fishermans in San Jose and Outdoor Pro in Cotati have other mainstream brands.

Edited by Totoro

6 hours ago, Totoro said:

Thanks for the reply fellas!

Reelfire, can you please elaborate on your suggestion?

I own the GSB1201L (1pc) and the genesis, but cant speak to the ECS...

The BH suzuki special he referred to is an absolutely amazing rod if it fits the bill for your intended use... If you usually keep hour offerings under 2oz then I would have to say it's a better option than the other rods you mentioned.. however, while its capable of throwing a bit over 2oz, I dont feel comfortable throwing 2+ with this rod...

2pc 50/50 .. Light as a feather... great backbone.. can throw up to 2oz lures a country mile... paired with a light reel, I can swing this rod all day without a hint of fatigue.. punches lures into the wind with authority.. 

Edited by Beachglass Guru

Thx BBG!

I thought about the Suzuki as well, however, I withdrew it as an option as I know of a few spots that require a bit more lure weight for distance and current.

The 2oz weight I used in the question just as a standard for reference on all the rods.

Keep it coming!

One other consideration.  I have the GSB 1201L but I seem to recall Lou Caruso saying that the two piece version was not nearly as nice as the one piece version.  I don’t have any personal experience with the two piece, but Lou certainly knows his stuff.

I’ve owned both the 1202L and the 1201L. The 1201L is by far a more versatile rod.

The two piece version imo tops out at about 2-2.25oz. It fished plastic minnows and bucktails just fine, but for the price there are better options. 

I have the 9’ Genesis, and it casts great. I use it at oyster point in south city where they call it the real windy city, and it can put lures out there pretty decently even with the super strong winds there. The 9’ is rated 1/2-3oz and  seems more sensative than the 10’ 3/4-4oz model. I paired my genesis with a VR50, total setup weights 20oz and has great backbone. I also have the 10’-6” Frontier x, but thats a differrent beast, both i bought at New Coastside in Pacifica. I have heard great things about the Black hole suzuki, super light, 10’ model would be great for our NorCal waters, i just cant find a local store to check it out in person. 

From discussion only with a friend who uses the same GSB - and my use of Genesis: I would think the Genesis is easier to cast (rod does more work where the Lami needs more casting effort). When I first started casting a Genesis, I sucked. Soon learned the rod casts with a very standard movement (less body into the cast). Then it flies. So based on that, I say Genesis will fatigue you less and meet the need you mention.  There is also the new DNA???

BTW - If the Suzuki 10' is outgunned, you may want to think of the Suzuki 9'6". Or the upcoming new 10' they are developing. 

Lamiglas does not make a good 2 piece blank or rod. so the gsb1202l is out. Surprisingly a lot of the smaller car can fit a single piece 9ft rod inside with reel on and all. So you can just grab the rod and go.  No need to mess around with assembling and disassembling a 2 piece rod. 

23 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I own the GSB1201L (1pc) and the genesis, but cant speak to the ECS...

The BH suzuki special he referred to is an absolutely amazing rod if it fits the bill for your intended use... If you usually keep hour offerings under 2oz then I would have to say it's a better option than the other rods you mentioned.. however, while its capable of throwing a bit over 2oz, I dont feel comfortable throwing 2+ with this rod...

2pc 50/50 .. Light as a feather... great backbone.. can throw up to 2oz lures a country mile... paired with a light reel, I can swing this rod all day without a hint of fatigue.. punches lures into the wind with authority.. 

What he said. 

Gentlemen, so many thanks for the input!

@HK, I contacted Lou along the same lines and he echoed your reply; ferrules being the weak link; so thank you for the validation.

@BNB, outside of the blanks I listed which others would you suggest in both 1 and 2 piece formats?

@Mbrody, thats a great bit of info; from the sound of it the Genesis has a similar "conventional" casting motion I am used to with my steelhead rods of similar length. Another plus for ODM!

@Ocg, first hand info from a local, priceless!  Too bad all the BH dealers are in SoCal.

@hobo, I hear what you are saying and I have plenty of room in my SUV. I picked these three for comparison because of their lengths/50-50 design. If I opted for 1 piece blanks then ODM and BH would be disqualified from comparision.

Great info fellas, more please!