itzky

Pond Combo Recommendation for infrequent use

15 posts in this topic

My family just moved to Florida and has a lot of ponds around their property. I want to buy a  lightweight combo to leave down there, ideally for under $150. In Salt, I'm most successful throwing gulp on Jigheads with a short fluorocarbon leader attached by swivel to braided line. Can I use the same technique for ponds?  I'm concerned with line memory as the set up will be sitting in a garage for most of the year. I'm used to spinning reels but open to baitcasters. Thanks for the input. 

6 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

St Croix triumph, Shimano Sahara, load it with some  8lb mono and toss senkos or small rebel crickhoppers for easy pickins.

Thanks man. I would like mono, any recommendations where line memory will be minimal? 

I like Berkley XL or more recently I've been using Field and Stream brand mono. Usually it's on sale for under $10 for 330 yards or buy one get one free and never let me down.

1 hour ago, itzky said:

Awesome. Just did some research on the crickhoppers too, it'll be the first lure I buy down here. Thanks for the advice 

They will catch anything and everything 

8 hours ago, Matteo78 said:

They will catch anything and everything 

Caught everything from micro gills to lunker bass on them. Just watch the hooks, super sharp but easy to break.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

You talkin' about fish, or gators? Lol.

Never heard of the crickhopper till here, just now. Just watched a few videos on it. I'll pick one up next time I'm at Bass Pro.

Edited by Del Gue

You can score a Daiwa tatula ct and fuego rod combo for short money.  A fuego CT for even less.....

That's a great baitcasting setup that will help with throwing a wide variety of baits at the 1/4 oz range on up.

I paid 23$ shipped for the fuego rod on amazon and 65 for the fuego reel off ebay.

The rod price isn't the norm but it's a nice rod for the coin.

Okuma Epixor xt's were selling for 40$ a week or two ago...And for the money that's the best reel to $$ ratio I've ever seen in a spinner.  

On 12/24/2018 at 9:19 PM, itzky said:

I'm concerned with line memory as the set up will be sitting in a garage for most of the year. 

Whatever you get, spool it up with braid...and bring some fresh floro/mono for leader material when you visit.