CoffeeHangover

Best Minnow Plugs In The Surf?

Rate this topic

140 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

At @2 oz. and short , stubby body the Maverick plug casts well and is a dead ringer for a small scup or butterfish. Its been around for a long time but not a lot of guys fish with them in my next of he woods. I have always done well with them when I've used them.

EC28C47D-5DB0-4CBD-8EC8-B3BC5317A1D7.jpeg

I agree. I started using the small size suggestedto me

by a guy in Fla, for snook. Started using the larger up

here. Never understood the lack of use around here.

Maybe not enough color choices?

6 hours ago, onthefly said:

I found these online at the big auction site unpainted and yes threw wired after paint .epoxy and hooks tad over two oz and have weight transfer if you have painting ability very cost effective

20181210_202330.jpg

They look fantastic!

I've been doing alot of research on minnow plugs and the differences. Seems everyone fishes sps or bombers these days but I want to try some of the older ones this spring. Any tips on fishing the 7" rebels? I haven't found much info about them except a small excerpt from surf plugology by bass bass dozer. I picked these up from a fellow sol'er. I've heard alot of good things about the hellcat and mambo minnows. This year I will continue to learn more about plugs as I was never much of a plug fisher and have a ton to learn 

20190105_131222.jpg

Here are three more minnow type plugs from the past that still have a place in my bag at times. The top is a loaded 7” Hellcat, middle Spro 65 minnow and last F-80 windcheater Rebel. Unfortunately they are no longer made but pop up for sale every now and them. Well worth the $$ and sometime will out fish some of the newer stuff. Stock Spro 65 cast great and fishes well in current and rough water. 

513DE278-B954-4B5D-BB6C-40D5E39FFC34.jpeg

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Here are three more minnow type plugs from the past that still have a place in my bag at times. The top is a loaded 7” Hellcat, middle Spro 65 minnow and last F-80 windcheater Rebel. Unfortunately they are no longer made but pop up for sale every now and them. Well worth the $$ and sometime will out fish some of the newer stuff. Stock Spro 65 cast great and fishes well in current and rough water. 

How did you load the hellcat? It already seems relatively heavy, much more weight to it than a redfin it seems. 

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Man, i wish they still made the Hellcat's, i just love the scale finish on the body.

The  most productive minnow plug for me is  a loaded Redfin in “Baby Striper” color. They no longer make the “ Baby Striper” color. I was given a few still in the package from my uncle a few years ago.  He told me he always had success with. Not sure what it is but it’s been my second most productive plug behind Sluggos. 

On 1/3/2019 at 7:45 AM, SC said:

Yes I used them for many years. Due to their narrow profile they have a much tighter more subtle swimming action much different from a traditional metal lip.

How does their productivity compare to the other plastics being mentioned? I assume they cast better than many plastics? 

On 1/5/2019 at 4:38 PM, Mack26 said:

Man, i wish they still made the Hellcat's, i just love the scale finish on the body.

x2. Anyone know why they stopped making them? 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:33 PM, yosco said:

I agree. I started using the small size suggestedto me

by a guy in Fla, for snook. Started using the larger up

here. Never understood the lack of use around here.

Maybe not enough color choices?

They do have a very original profile, and one that matches scup as mentioned above, which I dont believe have any other lure imitating them. Given the fact that stripers love scup, it is strange that they dont get more use. The funny thing about the lack of color choices you mention is that the color choices available are great fish catchers, just not angler catchers....maybe thats why :shrug: 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, Big Will said:

I've been doing alot of research on minnow plugs and the differences. Seems everyone fishes sps or bombers these days but I want to try some of the older ones this spring. Any tips on fishing the 7" rebels? I haven't found much info about them except a small excerpt from surf plugology by bass bass dozer. I picked these up from a fellow sol'er. I've heard alot of good things about the hellcat and mambo minnows. This year I will continue to learn more about plugs as I was never much of a plug fisher and have a ton to learn 

20190105_131222.jpg

Nice collection of some oldies. Not in your collection there but the 5 1/2 inch broken back rebel was really a killer decades back. Probably still is. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/8/2019 at 1:06 PM, Voo31 said:

x2. Anyone know why they stopped making them? 

Whopper Stopper, the original Hellcat manufacturer, was acquired by Pradco. Rebel and Cordell were as well as were other brands. I assume after the acquisition they were dropped as now the competition was all under one "brand" (Pradco). The original 7" Hellcats had 6 or 7 internal compartments while the newer ones only had a single internal compartment. Plugs were the same in name only and required different approaches as far as loading is concerned. 

Edited by SC

8 hours ago, SC said:

Whopper Stopper, the original Hellcat manufacturer, was acquired by Pradco. Rebel and Cordell were as well as were other brands. I assume after the acquisition they were dropped as now the competition was all under one "brand" (Pradco). The original 7" Hellcats had 6 or 7 internal compartments while the newer ones only had a single internal compartment. Plugs were the same in name only and required different approaches as far as loading is concerned. 

Interesting, Iv never heard of Pradco, thanks for the info