CoffeeHangover

Best Minnow Plugs In The Surf?

Rate this topic

140 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

How do the 2/0s work out on that size mag darter? The stock trebles are 1/0

1 hour ago, HKJonathan said:

The 2/0 don’t interfere with the swimming action?

I have yet to try these. I will try one with 1/0 and see if there's a difference. 

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Those mag darters have a very tight wiggle. The bigger hooks will modify that, but who's to say whether for the better or for the worse? Only the fish. 

Plugs run the gamut from things with no inherent action (needlefish) to those that have varying degrees of wiggle to those that swing from side to side, like real darters ... and so on. They all catch fish.  Sometimes. Go figure.

Anyone using or have used those old BM or Pichney non-jointed eelys as minnow lures? BM hasn't made them in awhile but they have a great minnow profile, picked up a couple but have not had the chance to fish them, they look like they would work and are of course through-wired. Anyone have experience with em?

Contrary to popular belief, needlefish lures do have some built in action. I have swam Stetzko’s in my swimming pool and they a very unique and subtle side to side roll.  Same with the surf asylum flat glides 

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have yet to try these. I will try one with 1/0 and see if there's a difference. 

Thanks for the heads up guys.

The first thing I do with my 1oz magdarters is upgrade the splits and hooks. I use rosco 5.5hd splits and vmc 2/0 hooks. They are with out a doubt one of my best producers. 

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Those mag darters have a very tight wiggle. The bigger hooks will modify that, but who's to say whether for the better or for the worse? Only the fish. 

Plugs run the gamut from things with no inherent action (needlefish) to those that have varying degrees of wiggle to those that swing from side to side, like real darters ... and so on. They all catch fish.  Sometimes. Go figure.

True............but from 15 yards out to straight in the wash---------It's the Bomber all day long !!  :heart:

I wouldn't disagree with you. Any minnow plug, at close range, will do me.  I know one former tackle shop owner who fished L.I. Sound, April through November, with a white feather teaser ahead of a minnow, and said that he rarely bothered with anything else. 

Apropos of another thread on plugs and modifications, Bombers are a leading candidate. I doubt there's a striper larger then 2" long in New York waters that hasn't eaten a Bomber, and decided to avoid that particular forage again. That's a good one to start tweaking.  Never mind the BBs, please, playing with hook sizes and types will do enough to change the signature on the fish's lateral line to perhaps get it to try again. 

6 hours ago, coldclam said:

The first thing I do with my 1oz magdarters is upgrade the splits and hooks. I use rosco 5.5hd splits and vmc 2/0 hooks. They are with out a doubt one of my best producers. 

Good to know 

55 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Apropos of another thread on plugs and modifications, Bombers are a leading candidate. I doubt there's a striper larger then 2" long in New York waters that hasn't eaten a Bomber, and decided to avoid that particular forage again. That's a good one to start tweaking.  Never mind the BBs, please, playing with hook sizes and types will do enough to change the signature on the fish's lateral line to perhaps get it to try again. 

Good info thanks 

19 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I wouldn't disagree with you. Any minnow plug, at close range, will do me.  I know one former tackle shop owner who fished L.I. Sound, April through November, with a white feather teaser ahead of a minnow, and said that he rarely bothered with anything else. 

Yes....yes................this happen to be true as a "winter type" lure in my area, which predominately consist of schoolie bass............

14 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Do You upgrade the hardware on these?

I'm not sure I'd bigger ones have better hardware. 

20181228_122759.jpg

RR..........in addition to being visible to the eye....i've read that these come with 3X strong hooks.  Split rings likewise...........

They are good out of the box...............

The best minnow plugs for fishing the surf for me have been:

the 6 inch straight bomber

the 7 inch straight bomber

the 5 and 7 inch mambos

the 5 and 7 inch straight redfins

Now, I have bought and fished nearly every minnow plug on earth and while I have caught fish on alot of them the plugs listed above are the ones that performed year after year after year for decades. While the redfin and the bombers are quite different in how deep they ride the mambo to me is a combination of both the others. I still like my redfins and bombers but If i wanted to be fair and honest it would be the mambo that is the very best all around  minnow for the surf if I had to pick one type.