CoffeeHangover

Best Minnow Plugs In The Surf?

Rate this topic

136 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Disregard all opinions except mine.  Rapalas are fine in saltwater, but they don't cast as well as some of the most recent Japanese lures. 

:p:p:p

They do not cast well maybe because

:p     A - You are using chip rod, probably bought at local 7-11, or

:p     B - You do not have enough experience fishing, or

:p:p  C - Both of above

PS

A - Try using custom rods made by local builders; maybe Goldberg.

B - Keep practicing, you may need at least (another) 50+ years of it.

Good luck

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I would have to say that I almost always catch fish when I use the 7 and 5” Red fins and the mid sized Mag darter. So I never really need to use the productive Bomber and SP minnow or anything else in the minnow lure category. I’ve really done well with the loaded 7” Hell cat too when swapped out for the 7” Red fin. 

Answers like this always leave me with the same thought; 'It depends'.

Great info though!

11 hours ago, BrianBM said:

As a broader look at the topic, every plug made will catch ... sometime. 

Following a line of thought from one of Frank Daignault's books, bass learn very quickly to associate the sensory signature of a given lure with the unpleasant sensation of being caught and hauled around. Most anglers don't do much to change how they present their plugs to the fish. Once a fish has been hooked, it learns, and avoids.  Tweaking plugs may help. Fishing whatever plug isn't the plug in common use is probably an idea worth pursuing, and this coming year, I mean to do it.

I've thought this before and it's an interesting point. I think this is true more so with the bigger fish and not so much the smaller less mature fish. Ive heard stories of huge fish being seen off bridges and in shallow water, fish that wont hit anything no matter how well it is presented, it could be these fish come to these areas to stay and feed on the bait available but have become wise when it comes to being caught. Most very large striped bass you hear being caught are in large schools of adult bunker or herring and in these situations during a feeding frenzy I'm sure they're more likely to drop their guard and just hit anything they can that's moving but when they're just chilling there and being more selective they are impossible to catch :laugh:  if there is a code to crack when it comes to catching the truly large bass, the one factor that separates the legends from the normal and even more experienced surf casters is knowing where to find these fish and how to trick them into hitting something. This is also why bait either fresh or live lined during certain times of year is much more likely to entice a big fish 

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Answers like this always leave me with the same thought; 'It depends'.

Great info though!

That’s surf fishing. Carrying just plugs that catch is key. That’s why the two loaded Red fins and mid sized mag darter are always in my plug bag. Sometimes other plugs catch better like the SS darter , metal lip, bucktail  or something else that you brought along. We can only carry so many plugs/lures on anyone trip. I have found 9 or so artificials selected before hand based on conditions to be encountered and spot(s) to be fished will take fish 99% of the time if they are in front of you. I hope, lol

Popasilov: Bite Your Tongue!  Me, fishing with K-mart tackle!  I am mortally wounded, of course.

Before I kill you, we should meet at Mt. Sinai Harbor some morning this year, just to goof around.  You can try a couple of Al's rods. :)

13 hours ago, Popasilov said:

They do not cast well maybe because

:p     A - You are using chip rod, probably bought at local 7-11, or

:p     B - You do not have enough experience fishing, or

:p:p  C - Both of above

PS

A - Try using custom rods made by local builders; maybe Goldberg.

B - Keep practicing, you may need at least (another) 50+ years of it.

Good luck

On 12/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, Aaron Barmmer said:

Red fin.  

1st bass I ever caught on a plug was a smokey joe redfin...fished along side a jetty in long branch when they were still there.

So

Before I got killed, you will grant me a last wish; to swing Al's rod,.few times

LOL

That gives whole new meaning to "Playing with a rod"

Imagine coming to the guy, fishing on the surf and asking:

" Pard' me sir

May I play with your rod for a while?"

17 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

That is a stout by treehouse brewery 

Nice, must be better than Guinness,

But, those things with eyes and hooks?

What are those?

3 hours ago, Popasilov said:

What are those things next to Guinness?

What size hooks are you using for those Mag Darters. They seem really big for the lures, like 3/0v?

7 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

No inline hooks RR?

I have some inlines but id rather pinch the barbs.

7 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

What size hooks are you using for those Mag Darters. They seem really big for the lures, like 3/0v?

They are 2/0 vmc's