CoffeeHangover

Best Minnow Plugs In The Surf?

Rate this topic

136 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, tristate said:

Mag darters are darters. Great plugs, probably better catchers than SP or bombers. Max Rap plugs are minnows and great catchers. They are not readily available. The two I have were gifts from friends. They catch fish and can be deadly when sand eels are present. Rapala could sell a ton of these if they marketed to the US of A.

I really like  Rapala MaxRaps, great plugs.  Bought mine from overseas. By far my #1 “minnow” plug the last two years. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My best plug this fall was a 1/2oz mambo minnow with a teaser in front.  I found it some where years ago and I can't remember if I had ever used it.  Decided to give it a try when the conditions to cast something that light were right.  It looks to me like it barely has wiggle but the fish loved it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bombers in black and baby striper, 7“ redfins in bone and homemade baby striper, 5” smoky joe and silver redfins and bone and blurple salt-pro, 7”black and silver mambo minnow and 5” pink mambo minnow, black and copper mag darters. Chicken scratch bomber has also been good. All have been solid producers for me. Biggest fish have come on the 7” redfins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

I would have to disagree that Mag Darters are true darters.  Darters have a very wide zig zag motion.  Mag Darter have a tight wiggle like most minnow plugs.  Regardless, still a great lure.

We had a thread in Main awhile ago on this.  One guy was really, really pissed off that anyone referred to them as darters - don't know why, it's not a name worth fighting about. YoZuri can call them anything the company wants, AFAIK.  Bottom line, they cast and catch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a broader look at the topic, every plug made will catch ... sometime. 

 

Following a line of thought from one of Frank Daignault's books, bass learn very quickly to associate the sensory signature of a given lure with the unpleasant sensation of being caught and hauled around. Most anglers don't do much to change how they present their plugs to the fish. Once a fish has been hooked, it learns, and avoids.  Tweaking plugs may help. Fishing whatever plug isn't the plug in common use is probably an idea worth pursuing, and this coming year, I mean to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zenman said:

Bombers in black and baby striper, 7“ redfins in bone and homemade baby striper, 5” smoky joe and silver redfins and bone and blurple salt-pro, 7”black and silver mambo minnow and 5” pink mambo minnow, black and copper mag darters. Chicken scratch bomber has also been good. All have been solid producers for me. Biggest fish have come on the 7” redfins. 

Do you keep the middle hook on the 5 inch refund? I just got some and I want to load them but dont think I wanna keep the middle hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Do you keep the middle hook on the 5 inch refund? I just got some and I want to load them but dont think I wanna keep the middle hooks.

No, just the front and rear. I replace the rings and hooks and just don’t replace the middle. Worth it to keep one unloaded even with its very limited castability. On calm nights nothing catches better for me than unloaded redfins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Surfratiam said:

I really like  Rapala MaxRaps, great plugs.  Bought mine from overseas. By far my #1 “minnow” plug the last two years. 

 

Super...Super sand eel imitators !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the 10 years i worked in a popular tackle shop i would be willing to say SP minnows out sold the sum total of all plugs 2 to 1. before the SP came into play mambo minnows were the best seller.for a long time needlefish were my best producers,these days nothing can touch an sp minnow at least in the waters i fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

in the 10 years i worked in a popular tackle shop i would be willing to say SP minnows out sold the sum total of all plugs 2 to 1. before the SP came into play mambo minnows were the best seller.for a long time needlefish were my best producers,these days nothing can touch an sp minnow at least in the waters i fish

What about the LIFishinVT plugs? They kick ass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to say that I almost always catch fish when I use the 7 and 5” Red fins and the mid sized Mag darter. So I never really need to use the productive Bomber and SP minnow or anything else in the minnow lure category. I’ve really done well with the loaded 7” Hell cat too when swapped out for the 7” Red fin. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.