CoffeeHangover

Best Minnow Plugs In The Surf?

Rate this topic

140 posts in this topic

I've been shopping around for minnow plugs, and I've looked at the usual loaded bombers and redfins, the crystal and hydro minnows, the SP's and the Mags but I don't really see much of a mention of Rapalas, is there a particular reason they don't get the love the other brands do?  Are there any minnow plugs that aren't wood that are thru wired?

I'd be cautious about labeling any finnish minnow style plastic as  being "best", but assuming you are fishing conditions where a plastic swimmer thrives my go-to would be a 16a bomber with the hooks and split-rings upgraded. The rapala x-rap catches for lots of folks, though not as hyped as some of the others out there.

7 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Disregard all opinions except mine.  Rapalas are fine in saltwater, but they don't cast as well as some of the most recent Japanese lures. 

:p:p:p

Those mag darters cast like rockets. Not quite minnows but still.

I have a particular Rapala, a big shad-ish plug, that looks like the cat's meow of bunker imitations. A gift from a friend ... can't wait to swim it, in bunker season. 

The mag darters really are minnows, IMHO. And yes, they DO cast nicely. 

Mag darters are darters. Great plugs, probably better catchers than SP or bombers. Max Rap plugs are minnows and great catchers. They are not readily available. The two I have were gifts from friends. They catch fish and can be deadly when sand eels are present. Rapala could sell a ton of these if they marketed to the US of A.

17 mins ago, tristate said:

Mag darters are darters. Great plugs, probably better catchers than SP or bombers. Max Rap plugs are minnows and great catchers. They are not readily available. The two I have were gifts from friends. They catch fish and can be deadly when sand eels are present. Rapala could sell a ton of these if they marketed to the US of A.

Wow, I was entirely unaware these existed, gonna have to procure some.

29 mins ago, tristate said:

I would have to disagree that Mag Darters are true darters.  Darters have a very wide zig zag motion.  Mag Darter have a tight wiggle like most minnow plugs.  Regardless, still a great lure.

Edited by HKJonathan