The Riddler

Bait Shops of the Past

Rate this topic

125 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, zeke04 said:

I remember Biff was quite a drinker, if you went in there late in the day he would trashed. He seemed to live in the back of the shop, sometimes with his girlfriend.

Often when we stopped in for something at his latest shop he would be zonked out on the floor behind the counter. One time I recall he was so still that he had passed. I managed to get him awake after much commotion , only for him to tell me that he did not have what i needed at that time. Some one could have walked away with the whole store other wise had he stayed asleep[really was unconscious from to much alcohol.

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

In the same area...……….D&G Sports Main St. in Cherry Valley, Spag's had quite a bit of tackle and the Fair in Spencer had a great sporting goods dept

Nobody mentioned First Stop Sporting on the way to Scusset beach …………..

If I am not mistaken there was more then one shop that had the name First Stop Sporting where they had a Bow and arrow practice range. He also would do charters on occasion I believe it was operated by the son of the gentleman that ran a shop next to the donut shop that was part of the renovation of that whole area that now has the Bus parking lot .before dunkins became so popular.  It was a bus stop back then as well if i recall. ONe other place that had a similar name was located in E Wareham on the Cranberry High way. It was also called First Stop [inside a stop sign] bait and tackle

Edited by Angler #1

34 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Hey did you know Andy Card ?

I was featured in his first campaign newspaper photo.   Very good friend of the family.   As is his brother Brad

Then of course there was Paul Kukonen's shop on Green St in Worc. He didn't sell bait. However at the time it was the best fly tying shop in the state.  He also sold fresh and saltwater lures and tackle. Had an old timer who would repair reels on a small table in back 3 days a week. Paul lived in the back room of the shop with his bird dogs. His best friend was none other than the man himself, Teddy Ballgame, Ted Williams. My dad used to get both he and Paul wholesale Wild Turkey bourbon for their trips north. Both times I met Ted were at Paul's shop.

7 hours ago, illrepute said:

My buddy was doing a renovation and found this. Thought it'd add to the topic.

Screenshot_20181227-101712_Messages.jpg

Seeing Nelsons sign ,The Nelsons owned the shop, but it was operated by her Husband, Richard, if i recall correctly  some one who once posted some what here also reminded me of another shop right down the street and that was Charlie Whitney in his down stairs basement operating  a shop for a long while .

Edited by Angler #1

30 mins ago, Riptide said:

I was featured in his first campaign newspaper photo.   Very good friend of the family.   As is his brother Brad

I was one of the invited Scoutmasters when he received his eagle from troop 56 and had sat in on his review board. His Scoutmaster Paul Lighkter and I  were wood badge holders. We often camped together both my troop 47 from Randolph and his . Woody Woodson rings a bell. I still have the program some where when he got is Eagle in a very large class of Eagles from 56 as I recall, He would have made a good Governor I recall also telling him , but he chose to go to Washington instead.

Edited by Angler #1

46 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

...If I am not mistaken there was more then one shop that had the name First Stop Sporting where they had a Bow and arrow practice range. He also would do charters on occasion I believe it was operated by the son of the gentleman that ran a shop next to the donut shop that was part of the renovation of that whole area that now has the Bus parking lot .before dunkins became so popular.  It was a bus stop back then as well if i recall.

The shop that had the indoor archery range was called One-Shot Outdoor Sporting.  Run by the chubbier of two sons.  The non-cubby son ran the charters on his Parker.  The father, I think his name was Jim, ran the store next to the donut shop.  Jim also filled in at One-Shot.

4 mins ago, Joe G said:

The shop that had the indoor archery range was called One-Shot Outdoor Sporting.  Run by the chubbier of two sons.  The non-cubby son ran the charters on his Parker.  The father, I think his name was Jim, ran the store next to the donut shop.  Jim also filled in at One-Shot.

Very good Joe your Memory serves you well and right on

My friend Biff was a true character in his own right I found if he liked you you were fine. If you rubbed him wrong he showed you the door. Every time I was in the area I stopped by to see him. He liked me for some reason and over the years sold me many vintage surf baits. Here  are a few pictures with Biff in the middle. That me on the left in a much younger time. I figure the photo is from the mid 1980s. In one of the pictures you can see plugs hanging in the window. He would not sell these but when I met him he about 1980 he still had over 60 Gibbs new in he box Floyd Romans and lots of vintage Creek Chubs still new in the box. Over the years till he passed he would sell me one or two each visit. 

I still have the shirt

3F969CBF-E400-43A0-979B-17E1B0CFD098.png

0D8C6BA1-8252-4B66-8116-2E02C3C4FB78.png

76CF05CC-F021-4903-8F75-87EB66AEF0A9.jpeg

12 hours ago, Roy C said:

My friend Biff was a true character in his own right I found if he liked you you were fine. If you rubbed him wrong he showed you the door. Every time I was in the area I stopped by to see him. He liked me for some reason and over the years sold me many vintage surf baits. Here  are a few pictures with Biff in the middle. That me on the left in a much younger time. I figure the photo is from the mid 1980s. In one of the pictures you can see plugs hanging in the window. He would not sell these but when I met him he about 1980 he still had over 60 Gibbs new in he box Floyd Romans and lots of vintage Creek Chubs still new in the box. Over the years till he passed he would sell me one or two each visit. 

I still have the shirt

3F969CBF-E400-43A0-979B-17E1B0CFD098.png

0D8C6BA1-8252-4B66-8116-2E02C3C4FB78.png

76CF05CC-F021-4903-8F75-87EB66AEF0A9.jpeg

Roy you can still see the original plugs sitting on the line in the window , the other one also held many. Like I posted above after he passed someone received a  nice stash of very hard to find collectables at that time . Now who is that  in the picture with you?

Edited by Angler #1

14 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Seeing Nelsons sign ,The Nelsons owned the shop, but it was operated by her Husband, Richard, if i recall correctly  some one who once posted some what here also reminded me of another shop right down the street and that was Charlie Whitney in his down stairs basement operating  a shop for a long while .

On Nelsons, Emilio Rogel and his wife Charlou, started it and ran it for years. I believe the big piece of property it was on, which included horse stables, deli and bicycle shop was owned by Charlou’s dad. Emilio had plans to do a lot of building, renovation etc but the towns planning board denied most of it, he said the hell with it and sold everything to Ted Malone, a developer in town who did a lot of affordable housing. Ted had Mike Rivetts, the rod builder, run the shop part time for two years, and I worked their part time in the second year. Ted poured a lot of money into renovating the buildings, turning them into offices, deli, two apartments, yoga studio etc. while his real plan was to stuff affordable housing into every square inch. He had town connections while Emilio did not. I bought the shop in the third year, and ran it for about 11 or 12 years, when Ted finally got the approval to build the affordable housing. Looking at his plans, there was going to be minimal parking leftover, and a real cluster. Add that to piping plovers, internet, seals, and we said it was time to shut it down. Unfortunately there really wasn’t any better location to move to, especially with the cost of real estate and rents up here for a seasonal shop, so yet another bait and tackle bit the dust. Hard decision.