YakDawg

Which motor?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Jeffz1 said:

You get any new motor prices?

Seems new upgrades on older boats stay with the 2strokes because the stern on  older boats weren't designed to handle the extra weight of a heavy 4 stroke.

My plan was to find an older GW and upgrade the motor to a new 4 stroke.

Sounds like GW will even suggest not doing that. I need a new plan.

Good point with the older boats.  I'm still doing my internet researching and will hit up the dealers later this month maybe a boat show special?  My current motor weighs 300lbs and the new 90-115hps are around 360lbs.  I'm thinking of putting the boat in at the ramp and put some solid concrete blocks in the stern to bring the weight up to 375lbs to make sure the scuppers are still out of the water as well.  Maybe I'll reach out to Seaway for their opinion.  I came across a website that shows dealer cost and msrp for motors I'll pm that to you I don't think I'm allowed to post it here. 

My 2000 Mercury 125hp 2+2 design weighs in at the upper 300's,

Wave Wackers for following seas and such helped the flooding  of the transom area when on Ontario. Reliable motor. It pushes a 19'6 StarCraft an easy 45 / 49 on a good day. 25 / 35 is just cruising, 3 mph is easy on two cylinders.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

I've been on a 60hp 21ft center console.  Worked just fine.  75 or 90hp might be a bit better on wieght.

Everything is more or less pretty good these days.  When something breaks, getting on the water again quick during a small window of opportunity is very important.  Mercury or Evinrude will treat you well.

Absolutley no problems getting parts for evinrudes from the 60s to 1990s.

I'm in the boat of 2 types of propulsion.   What you might save going down from a 115, you can invest in a spare 9.9 kicker....  You'd be real suprised what a 5hp kicker could move your boat at....  And that 5hp can work great on a canoe too.

Edited by salt deficient

On 1/3/2019 at 2:28 PM, YakDawg said:

Good point with the older boats.  I'm still doing my internet researching and will hit up the dealers later this month maybe a boat show special?  My current motor weighs 300lbs and the new 90-115hps are around 360lbs.  I'm thinking of putting the boat in at the ramp and put some solid concrete blocks in the stern to bring the weight up to 375lbs to make sure the scuppers are still out of the water as well.  Maybe I'll reach out to Seaway for their opinion.  I came across a website that shows dealer cost and msrp for motors I'll pm that to you I don't think I'm allowed to post it here. 

A group 27 battery weighs about 55 to 60 lbs so it's not much more weight.

11 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

A group 27 battery weighs about 55 to 60 lbs so it's not much more weight.

That's a good point.  I'm guessing my present battery located in the stern weighs 40-50lbs.  If weight is an issue with a new motor then I could move the battery forward to distribute some weight.  Thanks for the input.

I own a Seaway 18 with a Yamaha 70.  It is a terrific setup which behaves like a much bigger boat.  The 70 seems slightly underpowered only when there are 4 or more people aboard.  I have a freshwater boat with a Suzuki 50.  I can honestly say that they are the best 2 motors that I have ever run...and I have a lot of ecperience with outboards.  There are lots of ETecs at our yacht club and several owners are having problems.  They di not enjoy a strong reputation in our neck of the woods.   If I were buying a new motor it would definitely be a Suzuki or a Yamaha.

I agree look for a good service capability near you. I would also say that whether you get a Evinrude 2 stroke or A 4 stroke you need to change out the lower unit grease every yr,it has nothing to do with the power head.  If a seal fails you want to know it before it damages the lower unit.

Have been very happy with my 2008 Suzuki DF90 and will be replacing it with a new one this Spring. The extended warranty promotion they offer on new engines is a real plus and they have a dealers everywhere to handle service and warranty issues.

On 12/24/2018 at 0:36 PM, YakDawg said:

I'm retiring the end of the year and will be bringing my 1995 21ft Seaway CC out of moth balls (8 yrs) in the spring.  I currently have a 1995 Mariner 75hp on her.  It's a traditional downeast hull so it doesn't require big hp to go 20-25 kts.  I plan to upgrade to either a 90 or 115hp four stroke.  I was looking at a Merc because of it's lighter weight compared to other comparable engines.  Since I've been out of the power boat game for a while I would appreciate any opinions on motor brands in the hp I'm looking at.  Thanks for your input and Merry Christmas!

Guys are raving about the suzuki

I worked a few extra months so I never got the boat out of mothballs last year. I am fully retired now so time to repower. I did go to the NY boat show and got some prices.  There is not much weight difference between Merc, Zuk or Yami anymore. I'm going with a 4 stroke for sure and will probably go for the 115. I know commercial guys love their Zuks but they also like cheap prices. Thanks for the input.