YakDawg

Which motor?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm retiring the end of the year and will be bringing my 1995 21ft Seaway CC out of moth balls (8 yrs) in the spring.  I currently have a 1995 Mariner 75hp on her.  It's a traditional downeast hull so it doesn't require big hp to go 20-25 kts.  I plan to upgrade to either a 90 or 115hp four stroke.  I was looking at a Merc because of it's lighter weight compared to other comparable engines.  Since I've been out of the power boat game for a while I would appreciate any opinions on motor brands in the hp I'm looking at.  Thanks for your input and Merry Christmas!

Edited by YakDawg
added 4 stroke

My buddy has a 115 4 stroke Suzuki which he bought used, its maybe 15 years old now, still runs like a top. Hopefully this doesn't jinx his motor! It pushes a 20 ft CC, easily takes it to 24 knots with some throttle to spare. A lot depends on the right prop as well, as he's had several and has noticed significant difference between them as far as performance is concerned. 

On 12/25/2018 at 10:49 AM, msrief said:

I would go with an Evinrude 115hp ETEC.

X2.  Repowered 18’ Grady CC last year with 115 ETEC and very pleased with probably 40% better fuel economy than previous 1998 115 Johnson that gave me 20 years of great service.  ETEC has no annual maintenance cost. My mechanic recommends 3 year maint schedule for lower unit oil and spark plugs.  I have 6 year warranty covers everything.  My buddy with Yami 4 stroke has $300 annual routine maintenance cost from same mechanic. ETEC also much quieter. 

Repowered a 17 Mako with a 115 Etec this year too - very happy with it.

Went with it due to weight, low maint, and 10yr warranty.

Yammi's are durable but I hate that company after the dry exhaust debacle, and they do require a lot of annual maint.

2 hours ago, YakDawg said:

Good input guys thanks very much.  I will take a close look at the Etecs as well.  

Check around locally for a good dealer or mechanic for service, etc.

Never been a particular 4S fan, and I do love the one etec I use, but I think Merc has a winning ticket with their new line of non blown 4 strokes.  Weight, economy, torque.....I'd be taking a serious look.

42 mins ago, makorider said:

Never been a particular 4S fan, and I do love the one etec I use, but I think Merc has a winning ticket with their new line of non blown 4 strokes.  Weight, economy, torque.....I'd be taking a serious look.

Thanks for the input. What do you mean by non blown 4 stroke?  

On 12/27/2018 at 9:15 AM, YakDawg said:

Good input guys thanks very much.  I will take a close look at the Etecs as well.  

You get any new motor prices?

Seems new upgrades on older boats stay with the 2strokes because the stern on  older boats weren't designed to handle the extra weight of a heavy 4 stroke.

My plan was to find an older GW and upgrade the motor to a new 4 stroke.

Sounds like GW will even suggest not doing that. I need a new plan.