Rkfool

Penn fierce 2000 original rebuild questions

3 posts in this topic

So as a winter project I figured I’d order some replacement parts for my older fierce 2000 reel. It works but is very stiff to reel, especially with the tension of a lure being reeled in. I always maintain my own reels but just the basic stuff removing the side plate and rotor for some basic clean up and applying new grease. I ordered and replaced the spool shaft, crosswind block and gear, main gear, pinion gear, pinion bearing, and the drag stack with the ht-100 washers. Removal of everything went well, and surprisingly everything went back together nicely also. The problem is after all that the problem has not been rectified and the reel is still very tight/stiff to reel. I realized I had lost one of the shims that goes in between the main gear and the bearing on the handle side of the reel. I was able to steal a shim of the same size from another old Shakespeare reel. I noticed after some trouble shooting that when the side plate screws were loosened and the smaller side plate screw that is hidden under the bottom cover is loosened as well it solves the problem of stiffness. Basically my question is what do we think is causing the problem?? Could the side plate be warped?i don’t know what else if anything I should try replacing

Grab the collar of the handle assembly when it is fully tightened to the reel, pull in and out, if you see/feel "play", you may need another main gear shim, if you feel/see nothing you may be over-shimmed.  If the shimming is good and you still have a tightness it Is most likely one or more of the ball bearings.  Did you check all the ball bearings when you disassembled? 

tony

On 12/26/2018 at 0:01 PM, PENN Fishing said:

Grab the collar of the handle assembly when it is fully tightened to the reel, pull in and out, if you see/feel "play", you may need another main gear shim, if you feel/see nothing you may be over-shimmed.  If the shimming is good and you still have a tightness it Is most likely one or more of the ball bearings.  Did you check all the ball bearings when you disassembled? 

tony

I didn’t open the bearings up, I just checked it by rolling between fingers they seemed fine. I have since replaced them anyway and the problem persists. As far as the handle and shims. I replaced the handle lol and the shims, 1 shim is worse than 2 shims 3 shims is unusable and just 2 shims (which is what it shows in the schematic) isn’t as bad as 1 or 3 but still not good. I’ve now replaced almost every part of the reel. Seems that something is happening when the spook is about 3/4 of the way to the top of its travel and the same spot on the way down. After spending about 70 bucks to fix a 50$ reel I want this damn thing to work!!  Keep in mind I’m doing this just for fun and winter boredom and I realize I could have trashed this reel and bought a new one but sometimes that’s no fun. Thanks for your response and any input cause I’m running out of ideas