Alexandria, VA for the holidays- Worth trying???

Rate this topic

drumfish213

I live in old town, depending what you fishing for, you can always get catfish from potomac or jigging for perch and largemouth, the weather is actually pretty nice out lately. For stripers I always had more luck at dawn and dusk with light tackle with sp minnows and such. Jones point is a nice area, but lots of rocks so be ready to lose a couple if you bucktail.  Happy holidays

2 hours ago, Seabassplug said:

I live in old town, depending what you fishing for, you can always get catfish from potomac or jigging for perch and largemouth, the weather is actually pretty nice out lately. For stripers I always had more luck at dawn and dusk with light tackle with sp minnows and such. Jones point is a nice area, but lots of rocks so be ready to lose a couple if you bucktail.  Happy holidays

This is very helpful, thanks!

19 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

This time of year with colder water temps blue catfish are schooled up heavily.

Your best bet to find them would be to cover water using medium to large swim baits and jigs. Once you locate them you can focus on working the school for some trophy sized blues.

Is this possible from shore? I was planning on bringing an 8ft rod that I use for fluke and schoolies with swim shads and bucktails. Would that work for blue catfish as well?

17 mins ago, drumfish213 said:

Is this possible from shore? I was planning on bringing an 8ft rod that I use for fluke and schoolies with swim shads and bucktails. Would that work for blue catfish as well?

Yeap, quite possible. Blue catfish and other catfish are not as prone to striking lures as other fish (stronger senses and higher intelligence then most other fish), but they will strike lures if the lures are presented well.

Blue cats and stripers are very similar in their schooling and feeding habits, the key is to locate the school. Might not hurt to have a heavier rod with you too.

28 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Yeap, quite possible. Blue catfish and other catfish are not as prone to striking lures as other fish (stronger senses and higher intelligence then most other fish), but they will strike lures if the lures are presented well.

Blue cats and stripers are very similar in their schooling and feeding habits, the key is to locate the school. Might not hurt to have a heavier rod with you too.

Thanks, super helpful. 

On 12/23/2018 at 10:42 AM, Seabassplug said:

Tried Jones point today. Lost a few bucktails. You were correct!