youngc

Kid's First SW Rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

it's getting to be that time when my son finally gets his own saltwater setup and I'm looking for advice on a rod. he's going to turn 10 in March and he's not a big guy so I'm looking for a light rod that's in the 6'-6" range and can toss lures mainly in the 1oz range. we'll fish for stripers, porgy, bluefish, tog and whatever else that comes along. i'll be pairing it with a 2500-3000 size reel -- probably a Daiwa BG or Shimano NASCI -- and would like something in the same ballpark as far as price and quality. honestly, the shorter sub-$100 SW rod segment is not one I pay much attention to so any experience/advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

8’ Star Stellar Surf Rod and a Shimano Nasci 5000 is my schoolie setup. But, I love the combo so much, I find I grab it anytime I sneak in a quick session somewhere. It would be the perfect length and weight for his age, and still has the power to pull in bigger fish should you get into some.

4 hours ago, Mack26 said:

8’ Star Stellar Surf Rod and a Shimano Nasci 5000 is my schoolie setup. But, I love the combo so much, I find I grab it anytime I sneak in a quick session somewhere. It would be the perfect length and weight for his age, and still has the power to pull in bigger fish should you get into some.

I use a light 8' Star Stellar Lite also with a Diawa BG 4000. Great schoolie set-up. I've handled some small keeper sized bass and decent sized blues on it as well.

I would get a rod that he can grow into for the conditions you fish most often.  My first rod for the beach when I was about 10 was a 9’ with a Garcia 302 for south jersey flat beach where shorter rods don’t have much use.  In the beginning dad would cast for me if I couldn’t reach the trough.  I still use the rod 50 years later for whiting occasionally. If your conditions allow use of a shorter rod then 8’ stellar light or triumph would be good reasonable choices.  The butt to reel distance is very different on these rods and I am not sure what would suit a little guys needs better. Probably the shorter length there on the Star Stellar would be better.  

appreciate the suggestions everyone. the reason I was targeting a smaller setup was b/c he was struggling handling my 7'6" Avid/Stradic CI4. it's not a heavy setup but, it's still got a decent butt end on it and was a bit much for him. plus I figured when he outgrows his setup, it will be there for LMB fishing, or light inshore, etc. I'm gonna give some hard consideration to the slightly bigger setup, though, as he's gonna be a teenager in the blink of an eye. 

Im a big fan of Tica rods for setting up my

Kids' first outfits. Split them up between the

nieces , nephews, cousins during fishing

vacations. Semi affordable option.

go for 6'6" or 7' st.croix,light,fast tip or moderate fast tip,light good quality,i cast 7/8 oz lure  from 100' to 200' with wind help on 30# power pro.

for kid good light rod and fun to fish.if he like fishing later he can get surf rod.

if you give him surf rod now you may turn him off fishing,to heavy and hard to work with create job.

Edited by snag777

FWIW

I just got a daiwa harrier 7' .  1/2-1.5 for my 10y/o.    Prior to this he has been using a 7 triumph med for fluke (non surf.  This is a 1/4-5/8oz rod) .    Its super light and 7' isnt bad for a little guy.    The harrier is very slightly heavier, but should get him into a better rod for SP's and the like for fish other than fluke.  Wont be out of place for heavier freshwater, which we do more of.   its got fuji hardware and looks good and is on sale for an absurdly low price right now.   Tsunami shield in the stocking. 

12 y/o son, aka the fish whisperer, has been using rods from 7' tica 3/4-3 to a 9' tica 2-6oz for 2-3 years now.  He isnt big or strong.  He has done fine with a pair of 8'6" steelhead rods as well.  His technique has been good though.    Santa is bringing him a Star Stella lite surf 7.5' and a slammer 4500.    

Look into the Star and the Harrier.  Lots of rod for the money, and they arent toys, so its totally useable as he grows.  

YMMV, 0.02 etc.  Good luck and have fun!

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, Matteo78 said:

St Croix Triumph Surf 7’. It was my first real rod and still in action today. For the Price and Quality, can’t beat it!

I'd highly recommend this rod also. Very versatile for a 7 foot rod. I also use is for freshwater carp fishing.