GBS

Beginner bluewater rod/reel suggestions

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Going to Rancho Leonero on the East Cape/Baja in early June for a week to do some fishing. Done a fair amount of saltwater fly fishing for stripers and some for albies (shore and boat), but want to put together an outfit for yft (35-50 lbs is what I'm hearing) and a possible shot at a marlin. Won't see much use at home, except maybe for blue sharks. I was looking at the TFO Bluewater SG 13-15 wt and ??? for a reel. Any ideas or suggestions? No real price point, but don't see much sense in breaking the bank for an outfit that won't be used much. I know I can get away with a 12 wt. for the yft , but want to be prepared if I do get a marlin to eat.  

we have had great luck with Redington Predators 12 wts.  I have fished just north of there for almost 15 years.  Most fo the tuna are 10 to 20 pounds with occasional bigger fish.  I ddid get my butt kicked this spring by a YFT over 50 on an 11 wt. but that was the biggest by far YFT I have hooked there. Almost all of there YFT fishing I have done there is done with sink tip lines --500 to 600 grains.  

Reel wise --we have field tested the Sage Spectrum MAX a few seasons before they were released.  The 11/12 are wonderful and we use them all the time in Baja.  Nice and light with a kick butt drag and nice price.  

I have seen a few marlin caught here but have not spent anytime fishing for them.  The ones I saw caught were Striped and were 50 to 90 pounds. I would not feel under gunned with a 12 wt. 

Ask your outfitter for suggestions 

Redington Predator gets my vote as well.  Lighter than the TFO Bluewater  rod series and a similarly great warranty for a moderately priced rod.  But for the reel, I'd also suggest looking at the Colton Terrapin  (call Bob, the owner) or the Galvan Torque in size 10 (10-12w).

just another note-- when flying into Los Cabo only bring 4 rods and 4 reels.  They will nail you most of the time if you have more.--It gets expensive paying duty on the rods and reels over your limit.  That is the only part I dislike about fishing in Baja ---they are super strict on fishing gear and cigars.  

15 hours ago, GBS said:

Thanks Brian. No one had mentioned that to me before--appreciate the heads up.

it can be random but it is better to stick to the rules --the rules are on the immigration forms.  I know one outfitter who had a client who had to come up with 3k to get his extra rods in country.  In the old days you paid the duty in the bathroom--now days much more official.  Only three cameras as well.  I got caught several years back with three DSL bodies and 2 go pros.  Somehow I talked my way out of it.  

The Behemoths are nice but be sure to take note of the backing capacity if it is important for that kind of fishing.  The arbor is v-shaped, so it is neither larger arbor nor deep arbor.

I just picked up a new TFO Bluewater SG MD to go with a Galvan T-14. I am planning a Tuna trip next May. The rod looks good and I think it will get the job done. I would not worry about the overall weight of this rod. It is not like you are going to be false casting all day. I may get a Bluewater 12 Wt next. 

Look for a used Tibor Pacific reel. If you decide to sell it later, you can always sell it quickly for what you paid. 

7 hours ago, sms said:

Which are the heaviest rods and reels you have already?

Currently the heaviest fly rod I own is an 8 wt 9'. Definitely need to step it up.

Edited by GBS
spelling

11 hours ago, Tunataker said:

I just picked up a new TFO Bluewater SG MD to go with a Galvan T-14. I am planning a Tuna trip next May. The rod looks good and I think it will get the job done. I would not worry about the overall weight of this rod. It is not like you are going to be false casting all day. I may get a Bluewater 12 Wt next. 

Look for a used Tibor Pacific reel. If you decide to sell it later, you can always sell it quickly for what you paid. 

Like the idea of the used Tibor, though would probably lean to the Gulfstream on a 12wt.