Spigola

Light bait casting reel for bay fluking?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Looking forward for that Tranx200 review. 

Does the Tat inshore have any sealing? I thought it was just the original 200 with longer handle/diff color scheme...

There won't be a review.  Just an unbox teardown and fondle.  Comparing it to your curado K

Not that I'm aware of.  Just bearings that are more corrosion resistant

i have a abu 4600 i like. carbontex drags and CF handle. fun reel easy to fix. Ive had small bait casters but I've been going back to the older stuff so i can fix and mod it myself. so abu's or penns for me. I have one bait caster left its an abu revo toro winch. i use it out front though since its a 60. 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Okuma Komodo.  Seems like it would be perfect for the job.....

Edited by Otony

35 mins ago, Otony said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Okuma Komodo.  Seems like it would be prefect for the job.....

When I'm not using my accurist, I am using my Komodo. A bit heavier duty.

If your just dead sticking the bay, no need for flipping switches or anything fancy, a 5500, 50 record, heck a 940. I’m sure if you move a few things around in your fishing room/desk you’ll uncover twenty reels that will work

Edited by Jason B

9 hours ago, BASSOMATIC said:

I have the accurist. Feels like a toy

The shimano curado 200 is good reel

Cant wait to put the Shimano Tranx 200 with a power handle to the test

I like to jig the bait so the light weight is an advantage for me. Fluke to eight pounds and tog to seven, Skinner has taken deep water fluke over ten pounds.

1 hour ago, Spigola said:

What brand of rod is that.  Love the long grip area.

That's a Tsunami Classic series. It was also a skinner  recommendation. The rod is cheap, about $60. It has crappy guides but great action. Skinner cuts 4 inches off the tip, but I use it stock for jigs up to 4 oz. Originally, I had that reel on a BPS bionic blade, but the handle was a little short. Love the handle on the Tsunami. Anything over 4 oz I break out the Komodo on a Jigging World Nexus. I actually bought the Nexus before Skinner put out any videos on it, so I can't credit him with that recommendation but it is a great rod

Edited by GP100

Assuming you are looking for the reel for boat fishing, I like my Shimano Cardiff 400 for fluke fishing bait or gulp on hi lo rig. Good reel for about $120. I’ve had it for 4 years with no problems and it gets hard use. I use 20# braid and it holds much more line than I need.  If to do again I would have gotten a 300.  I also use old penn 940s and they have the advantage of being able to fish in one hand, having the release button on the side of the reel that doesn’t require turning the handle to reengage which makes it easier to fish a rod in each hand ( jigging buck tail or jig on spinner and dragging bait rig on conventional). Unfortunately the 940s I have can’t use braid or less than 15# mono or line finds itself beneath the spool.  They don’t cast well either if that’s a concern. Good luck with your choice.