fishfinder401

New hobie style kayak- lightning kayaks strike

54 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, thebandman said:

Doesn't hobie have a patent on their drive? I'm I missing something here?

Expired on the V1 drive which is why it’s been reverse engineered.

4 hours ago, surffish said:

Comes with wheel on the keel, with a possibility of good tracking due to the deep hull channels. This has potential.

I think it's a riot that something I grabbed it random off of Alibaba has gotten some of you excited. You should go surf the site, they have everything copied, including Tandem Island. Lots of prop drives too.

14 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Wenonah employs 100 according to a 2017 article. With overhead and pay roll their overhead is between 10-15 a week. Further puzzling why they need 15k to get this project  going into the production phase and get it into the hands of consumers. Something wrong there. 

This is also the second start up kayak company in a row with involvement from the original Scupper Pro designer Tim Niemier. Neimier was involved in the swell and I can see similarities between the scupper pro and the swell 14. Niemier is no longer associated with Swell. Now he is here with Lightning and I do not see anything in this Hobie knock off that looks close to his original Scupper Design.

Indiegogo or kick start er are like the new marketing flatform. It provides more information for market viability of a new product. If more folks supported there’ll be more demand. Their sale analyst can then make a better informed decision as to how much they can go big. You don’t just mass produce and hoping all will sell. I would be more doubtful if the asking fund is around 100k or over.

As far as Tim Niemier’s contribution to the project, looking at the foot brace may have come from his original sot kayak design. The retractable rudder has similarities to his concept scupper #2 where the rudder when retracted is buried on the hull.

You can also design your own dream kayak and Tim will assist you.

7A4F6D54-A7B2-41E3-AE65-A633BBFACDBA.png.2af7ce6d8fa805cdfa60cf0c206f4d70.png

3D499DA9-C64F-439B-8480-2BDCF976B237.jpeg.6ee252239baf3facba61e54b38c819d8.jpeg

Edited by surffish
Wording edit

10 hours ago, gellfex said:

I think it's a riot that something I grabbed it random off of Alibaba has gotten some of you excited. You should go surf the site, they have everything copied, including Tandem Island. Lots of prop drives too.

It’s not Riot, I have Riot Mako pedal kayak I bought from Amazon when it first came out, what you got from alibaba is called U-boat Kayak from China. Riot kayaks is from Canada.

16 mins ago, surffish said:

It’s not Riot, I have Riot Mako pedal kayak I bought from Amazon when it first came out, what you got from alibaba is called U-boat Kayak from China. Riot kayaks is from Canada.

The word "riot" in that context, was to convey the emotional reaction of gelfix to the reception that his post received, not referring to the Manufacturer of a line of kayaks ... capital "R" vs small "r", Proper Noun vs adjective 

21 hours ago, r111 said:

I am sure they got the $$$$$$ backing. The indiego is there so that the man who will write the check, knows there's a market for it

If they have the money and spent money on the mold why not pop them out and sell  em?  They said they talked to people in the industry related to kayak fishing..that’s not enough to convince?  15k is peanuts. If the product is good and holds up that will be the seller...this kick start is crap. :laugh:

38 mins ago, surffish said:

Indiegogo or kick start er are like the new marketing flatform. It provides more information for market viability of a new product. If more folks supported there’ll be more demand. Their sale analyst can then make a better informed decision as to how much they can go big. You don’t just mass produce and hoping all will sell. I would be more doubtful if the asking fund is around 100k or over.

As far as Tim Niemier’s contribution to the project, looking at the foot brace may have come from his original sot kayak design. The retractable rudder has similarities to his concept scupper #2 where the rudder when retracted is buried on the hull.

You can also design your own dream kayak and Tim will assist you.

7A4F6D54-A7B2-41E3-AE65-A633BBFACDBA.png.2af7ce6d8fa805cdfa60cf0c206f4d70.png

3D499DA9-C64F-439B-8480-2BDCF976B237.jpeg.6ee252239baf3facba61e54b38c819d8.jpeg

Thank you for that 

22 mins ago, Africaster said:

The word "riot" in that context, was to convey the emotional reaction of gelfix to the reception that his post received, not referring to the Manufacturer of a line of kayaks ... capital "R" vs small "r", Proper Noun vs adjective 

Ahh..I must be reading too fast. My apology.

54 mins ago, surffish said:

Hahaha. I remember twenty-odd years ago when Riot's 1st boat hit the market, a WW playboat designed by Corran Addison, who had previously at Savage Kayaks designed my Beast, which I still paddle. And I don't have that U-boat, just grabbed the pic from their website. Yes, you were reading too fast!

Edited by gellfex

Personally, I'd rather spend double on a Hobie then on a Chinese knockoff.  At least if I buy a Hobie, I know there are parts readily available pretty much any where in the world.  

3 hours ago, atv223 said:

Personally, I'd rather spend double on a Hobie then on a Chinese knockoff.  At least if I buy a Hobie, I know there are parts readily available pretty much any where in the world.  

The story of globalization is that there's a price point that will make you change your mind. People felt the same about Japanese cars in the early 70s. I'm not saying I disagree with you, just that there's a price. I occasionally buy Harbor Freight power tools. And I've felt I have mostly gotten more than my money's worth. Now, a tool IS different than a vehicle you trust with your life, but we did that with cars eventually.