fishfinder401

New hobie style kayak- lightning kayaks strike

54 posts in this topic

57 mins ago, r111 said:

I am sure they got the $$$$$$ backing. The indiego is there so that the man who will write the check, knows there's a market for it

But the marketing is wrong. There is already a cheaper version.  So when they look at price they need to come down to 1300 or less.  More like a 1000 because it is a startup.  Cutting corners on these monstrosities of a kayak like using  less poly or using less heat in the molding process is now jeopardizing structural integrity.  All the manuatuerers are or will be doing it to stay competitive and soon they will be all  overseas especially with major inflation is on its way in the country.  

Thankfully our sport is affordable. We can not afford cheap and cutting corners. 

Edited by The Riddler

re-watched Catch 130 from the show (Elias, Field etc). 

The bathtub/deck cavity is simply gigantic and completely exposed. They better do something about it in final version, or you wont be able to launch in any kind of surf in it. First wave that goes over the bow will dump 30+ gallons of water into the bathtub and boom, u r done.

Looks cool. Plenty of deck space, front seat hatch, height seat adjustable, appears to have transducer mount, made here in the U.S.. The only drawback I see from the video is that deck flexes ,worst than riot mako, at 4:59 minutes when the seat are being fastened, and no reverse.122DB365-EB3A-4A8F-A370-9762B9FB5E6E.jpeg.69333e9e39f88f99c2af5d61a43a426e.jpegFA2F3E1A-F9A5-46EF-88F0-7A1148C7A839.jpeg.8346e97a54a7262ff3e3e4357837d69f.jpegD98EDC28-45B9-4ABD-A4EA-5F9641E9C24F.jpeg.efa76ef6ebc8762155557a0e25d814fb.jpeg

I will wait for Tim Niemier’s version of pedal driven scuppro. I don’t care if it is a wet ride as long as it is the fastest pedal drive kayak. :)

Edited by surffish

That rudder looks sketchy.

Stowed or deployed I can see myself damaging it easily.  Anything below the water line is a skid plate to me.  River rock doesn't care that it's a fold away rudder.

I thought it was gonna be a crazy deal the way he was talking about it.....but it's still close to 2000$ shipped

And that is buying direct without wholesale mark up.

Whats the warranty.....I was surprised to see in the Indeegoogooo there was no mention of warranty in the FAQ

48 mins ago, surffish said:

I will wait for Tim Niemier’s version of pedal driven scuppro. I don’t care if it is a wet ride as long as it is the fastest pedal drive kayak.

Haha, I think that'll be a long wait! I''m guessing he's a purist. Where did you see it's made in USA? Was that in the video? tl;dw  I would have bet large it was Chinese. these below are $630 at the 21 pc price break. If you have a well located shop, I bet you could hustle them out the door if you kept it under $1300. Even after the container charge, that's a tidy profit, no?

U-Boat-multifunctional-watersports-recre

Plus there's the name. Lightning Strike Kayak reminds me of a electrical contractor I once used "Arc & Spark Electric". Seems to me the wrong message, like "Crash and Burn Airlines".

Edited by gellfex

I’m not a fan of integrated molded bow & stern handles like Feel Free kayaks and this company makes. I just think that this design is more prone to failure from an accidental smash into something while on the water or while loading/unloading the boat. I could be wrong though.

I wonder how close the designs are of these new V1 drives are to Hobie’s original design, and whether or not the V2 upgrade parts will work. Hobie can benefit from continuing to make V2 parts if so...And if you upgrade to V2 you can upgrade to GT...

They should have named it “Revangler” since it looks like a hybrid of a revo and a PA. 

Or maybe “Pedalphile” would be catchy. On second thought, maybe not. 

49 mins ago, staktup said:

They should have named it “Revangler” since it looks like a hybrid of a revo and a PA. 

Or maybe “Pedalphile” would be catchy. On second thought, maybe not. 

I thought closer to a PA, feel free dorado mix, 

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Haha, I think that'll be a long wait! I''m guessing he's a purist. Where did you see it's made in USA? Was that in the video? tl;dw  I would have bet large it was Chinese. these below are $630 at the 21 pc price break. If you have a well located shop, I bet you could hustle them out the door if you kept it under $1300. Even after the container charge, that's a tidy profit, no?

Plus there's the name. Lightning Strike Kayak reminds me of a electrical contractor I once used "Arc & Spark Electric". Seems to me the wrong message, like "Crash and Burn Airlines".

on their funding site it says it is made in the USA, otherwise i would have assumed china. and to be honest, that picture you posted looks kind of cool, 

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

They partnered with Winonah Canoe  & kayak manufacturer from MN.

The u-boat looks more streamlined than the tugboat bow of the Lightning Strike kayak. Hey if you are going to lend me your backyard for space let’s order a container load of u-boats and sell it for cheap. Funny looking boat though reminds me of feel free lure with built in side handles. And seat strap can double as a leg strap for surf launch.

Bottom line is competition is good for us consumers.

45 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

on their funding site it says it is made in the USA, otherwise i would have assumed china. and to be honest, that picture you posted looks kind of cool, 

Comes with wheel on the keel, with a possibility of good tracking due to the deep hull channels. This has potential.

B9288531-BB61-42DB-AFC0-D7AEEB18187E.jpeg.14a7367937ae716714bd65d3b49b0d77.jpeg

30 mins ago, surffish said:

They partnered with Winonah Canoe  & kayak manufacturer from MN.

Wenonah employs 100 according to a 2017 article. With overhead and pay roll their overhead is between 10-15 a week. Further puzzling why they need 15k to get this project  going into the production phase and get it into the hands of consumers. Something wrong there. 

This is also the second start up kayak company in a row with involvement from the original Scupper Pro designer Tim Niemier. Neimier was involved in the swell and I can see similarities between the scupper pro and the swell 14. Niemier is no longer associated with Swell. Now he is here with Lightning and I do not see anything in this Hobie knock off that looks close to his original Scupper Design.

1 hour ago, surffish said:

Comes with wheel on the keel, with a possibility of good tracking due to the deep hull channels. This has potential.

B9288531-BB61-42DB-AFC0-D7AEEB18187E.jpeg.14a7367937ae716714bd65d3b49b0d77.jpeg

I could actually see this being worth trying, looks perfect for smaller waters and maybe even some saltwater