fishfinder401

New hobie style kayak- lightning kayaks strike

54 posts in this topic

Just saw a video of a new kayak with a drive very similar to the hobie style drive. It doesn't look like one to launch in the surf, but at the price point it looks very interesting. What do you guys think?

Very cool but I wonder what it offers over the upcoming Pelican? Specs seem similar and the drawback I see is the shipping cost, whatever that ends up being. Even with the Early Bird price I imagine it will come out similar or more than the price of the Pelican picked up at a local retailer, which I think was $1500.

Edited by drmevo

I checked out the Indiegogo page. They're looking to raise $15k. WTF? Sorry, but that's chump change in starting a company. If that's real money to them, that's a red flag. I wonder about sudden startups like this and Brooklyn Kayaks, are they just rebadging a containerload of Chinese boats off Alibaba? We saw ads for the Chinese boats last year.

7 mins ago, buddha162 said:

The latest v1 mirage drive clone, I can't see anyone on this forum getting too excited about this. 

You don't think a $1400 price point will some people excited? This product is about price not exciting new features. That is mid to high paddle boat territory. But the list of $1750 is getting close enough to Hobie Compass to not bother.

Edited by gellfex

2 mins ago, gellfex said:

You don't think a $1400 price point will some people excited? This product is about price not exciting new features. That is mid to high paddle boat territory.

Yeah, the fact someone can get a stand able, pefla drive kayak that seems to be a pretty manageable weight for that price I would think would get quite a few people excited, especially those more focused on freshwater

10 mins ago, gellfex said:

You don't think a $1400 price point will some people excited? This product is about price not exciting new features. That is mid to high paddle boat territory. But the list of $1750 is getting close enough to Hobie Compass to not bother.

Some people, maybe, but I don't see it. Better chance if they can keep list + shipping at 1500.

Be interesting to see one of these clones catch on, and how Hobie would respond. Dropping MSRP on Compass by a hundred or two might be the easiest route...as you said, they just have to be within the ballpark.

6 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Some people, maybe, but I don't see it. Better chance if they can keep list + shipping at 1500.

Be interesting to see one of these clones catch on, and how Hobie would respond. Dropping MSRP on Compass by a hundred or two might be the easiest route...as you said, they just have to be within the ballpark.

They're going to have their cage rattled eventually. Just go to Alibaba and search for pedal kayak.

I have to agree. 15k is chump change. Makes me wonder if they even have a place to mold the kayak or are other manufacturers letting them use the oven and facilities? No stability means risk to the consumer. Delays to promise date etc. I went through delays earlier this year with a manufacture who flat out lied about product being shipped. They also started on one of these start up websites. I never even got the color I wanted. He was also renting ovens to produce kayaks and had delays.  So be aware before you commit cash to these start up companies.  Know there is risk to you too!

15 mins ago, gellfex said:

They're going to have their cage rattled eventually. Just go to Alibaba and search for pedal kayak.

I think that'll happen when someone makes a better drive system than Hobie's current drive, and keep the costs competitive. Copycatting 3 gen old V1 drives probably not gonna cut it...unless they push the price under 1k? I guess we'll see what happens. 

Wonder if standard Hobie-issued MD fits the opening ? 

Fin war is heating up, em spring run stripers will be very confused methinks.

I do like the flared bow and do NOT like sewage-infused spray in me face.

Anyway, when and if me ole PA14 decides it had it, I will have me some choices !