stripedbassking

Proposal to drop Circle hook requirements :/

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

Time to put the entire fishery on an artificial bait only restriction. Get rid of baiting all together. Then you'll see an actual increase in striper mortality. Just common sense.

C'mon people. If I can do pretty good on flies only , the rest of you can do just as well on lures. Let's think about preserving what we have left for a change.

That would be fine by me.....but there would need to be something defining multiple trebles with barbs.....ripping up small bass.  I’ve seen and personally caused as much damage with trebles as anything.  Fishing bait is how most of us got introduced to the sport, but things change and people need to adapt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MakoMike said:

The truth is that it's almost impossible to enforce, which is why all of the other states haven't adopted the rule.

I see what your saying but it’s almost the same as following fishing regs,  people keeping a short or using a circle hook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez I don’t even feel bad about keeping a short if it’s a goner.  And as fisherman we should all start to learn what that is.  I try to release 99.9 percent of my fish.  Not because I don’t love how they eat...but we all know eventually a couple have a bad day.  It’s the reason I like the tag idea....even if it was as high as 6 per person per year the fishery would do better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 7:30 PM, Plugger207 said:

Jeez I don’t even feel bad about keeping a short if it’s a goner.  And as fisherman we should all start to learn what that is.  I try to release 99.9 percent of my fish.  Not because I don’t love how they eat...but we all know eventually a couple have a bad day.  It’s the reason I like the tag idea....even if it was as high as 6 per person per year the fishery would do better. 

Yes! Bring on the tags!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 7:30 PM, Plugger207 said:

Jeez I don’t even feel bad about keeping a short if it’s a goner.  And as fisherman we should all start to learn what that is.  I try to release 99.9 percent of my fish.  Not because I don’t love how they eat...but we all know eventually a couple have a bad day.  It’s the reason I like the tag idea....even if it was as high as 6 per person per year the fishery would do better. 

Honestly have to agree, I only care to take one fish a year and I would love it if I could keep the 25 incher that happened to be gut hooked instead the 32 inch female that could have been safely released and was instead harvested due to my doubt I would catch another legal bass that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's the official Summary and notification of a public hearing in a week in BBH.  Bluefish notification is the same with a "Find/Replace".  Still unsure how I feel about this since I really don't have a dog in this fight; I only drown mackerels/eels a few times a year.  I always applauded Maine for taking an aggressive conservation stance, but felt cheated because ASMC never gave us credit in terms of increasing our allocations based on the lower mortality rate we should be credited with.  At least now the State is taking a "we need to see a quid pro quo position" with ASMFC and I think that is laudable.

 

CHAPTER NUMBER AND TITLE: Chapter 42 Striped Bass Method of Taking
PROPOSED RULE NUMBER (leave blank; to be assigned by Secretary of State):
BRIEF SUMMARY:
This rule would remove the circle hook requirement for Atlantic striped bass. Due to their migratory behavior, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) governs interstate management for Atlantic striped bass. Consistent regulations across jurisdictions are recommended within the ASMFC Striped Bass Management Plan and a circle hook restriction is recommended within Amendment 6 of the Plan to reduce the mortality associated with hooking and releasing striped bass. Maine implemented a circle hook restriction in 2013 with the assumption that it be similarly implemented by the other Atlantic states. Other jurisdictions have not enacted this requirement and do not plan to implement a circle hook restriction. A circle hook restriction limited to Maine waters exclusively is not an effective management measure for a migratory fish species spanning from Maine to North Carolina along the Atlantic coast.

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

 I always applauded Maine for taking an aggressive conservation stance, but felt cheated because ASMC never gave us credit in terms of increasing our allocations based on the lower mortality rate we should be credited with. 

There are no "allocations" of recreational striped bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with consistent regulations up and down the coast, but this doesn't seem right to me.  Removing ways to reduce mortality when we are seeing low numbers of mature fish?

 

When I win the presidency in 2020, here is the first thing I will do. 

 

$1 tags (like we already use for halibut). 

Circle hook restriction for bait (like we already use for halibut).

Minimum size of 28", increasing by 1"/year until we reach a minimum size of 32".  

 

Of course some will complain about paying for tags.  If having stripers around for generations to come isn't worth a dollar to you, take up golf.

 

Chiefer 2020!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I agree with consistent regulations up and down the coast, but this doesn't seem right to me.  Removing ways to reduce mortality when we are seeing low numbers of mature fish?

 

When I win the presidency in 2020, here is the first thing I will do. 

 

$1 tags (like we already use for halibut). 

Circle hook restriction for bait (like we already use for halibut).

Minimum size of 28", increasing by 1"/year until we reach a minimum size of 32".  

 

Of course some will complain about paying for tags.  If having stripers around for generations to come isn't worth a dollar to you, take up golf.

 

Chiefer 2020!

You should be aware tat those halibut reg are also only applicable in ME. No such regs in NH or MA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.