stripedbassking

Proposal to drop Circle hook requirements :/

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

DMR has proposed a look at removing the requirements for circle hook use while using bait....... according to their website because it’s a migratory species? 

“ A circle hook restriction limited to Maine waters exclusively is not an effective management measure for a migratory fish species spanning from Maine to North Carolina along the Atlantic Coast.”

Im pretty sure that any state that implicated a circle hook for bait law has a positive impact on the fishery as a whole because of the lower mortality rate.... just cuz other states don’t want to side towards conservation doesn’t mean we should join them........

As someone who had issues with circle hooks initially I have since found they are effective when used properly. Even if this wasn't the case the reasoning for the change does not sit right with me for for a few reasons. This is a step in the wrong direction as far as I see it. 

This is page 3. So in addition to not feeling the restriction is effective they claim Maine has received input from recs and charter captains to get rid of the law. So for those that want it kept the way it is, time to let them know it. It really is frustrating. In the meeting  they determined that if only one state has this conservation minded law it will be ineffective. Which is probably true. So you would think the other states would join and make it happen. Instead they get rid of it all together? I don’t get it.

7BF3939B-AA4F-41CD-8C5F-FCAC290A1DA0.jpeg

Edited by Bmackerel

I, and probably everyone else who has a clue about fishing and mortality know the benefit of circle hooks.   The problem as I see it is all the tourists and weekend warriors who wouldn't know a circle hook from a treble.   Besides not having a clue, who's even been around to enforce the use of circle hooks?   I barely ever see a warden, and the few I have seen asked to look at my cooler or measure a fish I may have been carrying off the beach.   I'm just not sure that any regulations are going to make a lot of difference until there's active education and enforcement for those who are shall I say "less aware".   Those of us in the know will always do the right thing.  

Not sure how I feel.  I did feel cheated that Maine never got any "credit" from the Feds for our aggressive conservation initiatives like this and the treble hook restriction, there was never any quid pro quo.  On the other hand, the scarcity of enforcement of any marine recreational regulations here in Maine makes rules a moot point.  Ten years on the water here, averaging over 100 hrs per year and I've only been "checked" once while fishing for pollock in the mouth of Damariscotta River.  It was late April and the DMR person had just launched a new boat in South Bristol and he was wringing her out.  He barreled over and saw that me and "The Admiral" were wearing PFDs.  He said, "Good you're wearing life jackets.  Is the boat registered?"  "Sure, want to see her papers?"  "Nah, I can tell you're legit."  "Oh let me show you them, I've got them handy!!" "No thanks, have a nice day!"

Marty, your "edumcation" point is very good.  I'm still shocked that people think we're still in the 20-26" slot limit!!

With the increase of pogies I always wondered how they would enforce the circle hook rule for people snagging pogies with a weighted treble and having a bass grab it before the person could get the snagged pogie into the boat?

regarding enforcement, I frequent one of the most popular rivers in southern Maine and only observed marine patrol around one time this year. However the wardens were present frequently especially when the crowds came out for blood in the spring, which I loved to see. I spoke to many people who were informed of the new hook regulations by wardens personally, even if enforcement is difficult regulations should be there serving to protect the resource and allow for any enforcement where possible. 

10 hours ago, MartyK said:

I, and probably everyone else who has a clue about fishing and mortality know the benefit of circle hooks.   The problem as I see it is all the tourists and weekend warriors who wouldn't know a circle hook from a treble.   Besides not having a clue, who's even been around to enforce the use of circle hooks?   I barely ever see a warden, and the few I have seen asked to look at my cooler or measure a fish I may have been carrying off the beach.   I'm just not sure that any regulations are going to make a lot of difference until there's active education and enforcement for those who are shall I say "less aware".   Those of us in the know will always do the right thing.  

Well, yes and no.

I fish LBI and Lavalette during peak tourist seasons.  I always send my kids around to see who is catching, whats running, what they are using etc.  Everyone talks to a curious kid.   My point is that It is a very rare rig that is bait fished that isnt using a circle.    Maybe not so 10 years ago, but for sure now.  

Its a function of the bait and tackle shops.  "whats hitting on the beach?  Have any bait?  I'll take some squid and 2 bunker.  Frozen? Sure!  Oh, and a fluke rig and a bass rig."

Give em circle hooks, they'll use circle hooks.

Please send in your comments so that we can keep conservation as a priority. Makes no sense to take steps back, the treble thing should be coastwide, no need for 3 trebles on a plug. But that doesn’t seem to be changing so that’s good, but if you feel as I do and want Circle hook enforcement then please voice your concerns.

20 hours ago, TimS said:

Sure...sounds logical, they migrate so why bother not killing more than necessary :rolleyes:

Sounds like NJ :blackeye:

I’m with you bud!

I don’t get it Tim, why is it such a hard concept for people to understand? That’s the most frustrating part. These are a migratory species and they should be managed as a whole, any steps to reduce fish mortality are. Good thing... whether you eat fish or not(like me)