Another Seal Release

Rate this topic

Quonnie

seals are protected by federal law, the coastal waters around all states are also ruled by the feds and governed by the states.

I don't like seals, especially now, but the OP concern is a mute issue untill laws are changed....don't hold your breath.

Edited by iphish

I still did not get a answer as to why there and not in CT or the water in which they are rescued, if Mystic want to spend money rehabbing them that is fine just release them back where they came from. Oh and as to Federal Law, The State of Maine will not allow them to be released back into their water, last time I checked Maine was a sate not the Federal government so you kiss that excuse good bye.

3 hours ago, Quonnie said:

I still did not get a answer as to why there and not in CT or the water in which they are rescued, if Mystic want to spend money rehabbing them that is fine just release them back where they came from. Oh and as to Federal Law, The State of Maine will not allow them to be released back into their water, last time I checked Maine was a sate not the Federal government so you kiss that excuse good bye.

Someone asked Mystic that question on FB.

They gave a long rambling non-answer that basically ended with...

"Because RI lets us".

There is an article about RI seal presence in the January issue of RI Monthly magazine.  Of course there is nothing in it that mentions any of the negative consequences of increased seal presence in RI.  They mention that harbor seals are still at historical levels but the real increase is with larger grey seals and mention a summering colony of 150 at Sandy Point on Block.

Time to figure out our own measures.  Obviously you can't harass them but you can be creative.  Noise is one concept of a non-lethal potential control to keep them from getting comfortable and establishing a colony.  I yell at them and cast toward them and it generally gets them to scoot off their perches - if we keep doing it maybe they'll seek other refuge.  

23 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Those seals that learn to target fishermen are a pain and obviously shut down the bite for any humans near by.

You can tell those because they sit up high in the water and watch you intently. You can feel their intelligent eyes on you.

Very annoying and nothing to do but move.

That's not what I meant with my earlier remark.

I noticed long ago, before the current gray seal issue on the Cape, RI guys attributed supernatural powers to the little harbor seals that always showed up late Fall.

The sight of one always predicted the end of the bite. Even though if fish were around the bite was fine.

If it were slow or dead for any reason and a seal was visible, that was proof.

If it were dead and no seal visible, it was speculated there was probably one out there.

Guys would leave if they saw one.

To this day,  I still tell guys I just saw a seal when I want room on the jetty.

But not to make lite of what could become a nuisance when the gray seals expand south.

(Need for space and food, not climate change)

I hate to see what a couple of those big seals could do inside a trap net.

I was at Watch Hill and had a seal go past me . The next cast i caught a Bass . Im sure it spooks the fish but so don't sharks . As for the releasing and seal tours its going to turn into another Cape Cod . 

Top Drawer Sport fishing " We Put Everything Into It "

Those seals that learn to target fishermen are a pain and obviously shut down the bite for any humans near by.

You can tell those because they sit up high in the water and watch you intently. You can feel their intelligent eyes on you.

I noticed long ago, before the current gray seal issue on the Cape, RI guys attributed supernatural powers to the little harbor seals that always showed up late Fall.

The sight of one always predicted the end of the bite. Even though if fish were around the bite was fine.

If it were dead and no seal visible, it was speculated there was probably one out there.

To this day,  I still tell guys I just saw a seal when I want room on the jetty.

But not to make lite of what could become a nuisance when the gray seals expand south.

I was at Watch Hill and had a seal go past me . The next cast i caught a Bass . Im sure it spooks the fish but so don't sharks . As for the releasing and seal tours its going to turn into another Cape Cod . 

• 3 weeks later...

Can think of a predator hammering one of those seals 100ft from a crowded beach to witness the feeding and hundreds of cell phones recording then media posting. Now the state has a tourist/beach goer scare that would take time to rebound from.Odds are low but the stakes are high.Taxes go up to recover the losses.

Tells me R.I. isn't very protective of their ringing registers.

16 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

Can think of a predator hammering one of those seals 100ft from a crowded beach to witness the feeding and hundreds of cell phones recording then media posting. Now the state has a tourist/beach goer scare that would take time to rebound from.Odds are low but the stakes are high.Taxes go up to recover the losses.

Tells me R.I. isn't very protective of their ringing registers.

Happened on the cape and they got even more lookey Lous wanting to see a seal eaten by a shark.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI