fishnbear

Shimano Curado DC vs Curado K vs Daiwa Tatula SV TWS

25 posts in this topic

Looking to add a baitcast combo for the kayak and this is the "short list" for reels. On paper, it will be used for Texas Rigs, Jigs, Frogs but will likely be a multi tasker. My feeling is that any one of these reels would be a good choice but ultimately I have to pick one. Very curious about the  Curado DC. This  is a new animal to me and I guess I wonder about the lifespan of the DC unit/ chip ? I saw Scooby's vid on the Curado K's fine adjustment dial being stuck, a little worrying. I fondled one at my local bait and tackle and while it took some effort to move, it did move and would hopefully loosen up with regular use? Looking for any feedback about any of these reels.

Thanks T

26 mins ago, fishnbear said:

Looking to add a baitcast combo for the kayak and this is the "short list" for reels. On paper, it will be used for Texas Rigs, Jigs, Frogs but will likely be a multi tasker. My feeling is that any one of these reels would be a good choice but ultimately I have to pick one. Very curious about the  Curado DC. This  is a new animal to me and I guess I wonder about the lifespan of the DC unit/ chip ? I saw Scooby's vid on the Curado K's fine adjustment dial being stuck, a little worrying. I fondled one at my local bait and tackle and while it took some effort to move, it did move and would hopefully loosen up with regular use? Looking for any feedback about any of these reels.

Thanks T

Any of the Daiwa SV reels will choke distance in favor of control; most people use them for target casting lighter baits, dock skipping etc. My SV103 was a great reel, but had horrible distance. The upside is Daiwa takes a variety of spools, and some will cast farther than others...the downside is these spools are not cheap.

The K is imo the best curado ever made, it bombs baits and is built like a tank, the retrieve feels like a $350+ reel from yesteryear...the lightest weights I've played around with are around 1/4oz (does it fine). Scooby has my K now to compare to the DC...I would wait for that video to drop before making any purchases. On paper the DC seems to be the most versatile reel of the bunch. I'm also looking at the DC, but there's the Tranx 200 to consider as well, which is based off the K and might be better suited for saltwater (I believe scoob has his hands on that one too)...so many choices these days lol. 

i do have the zillion sv and as far as i know, daiwa sv series of bc can be used to cast UL lures

i cant decide whether to get the curado k or dc

im looking to cast lure from 7g up to 30g 

which one will be a better fit? k or dc? 

17 hours ago, fishnbear said:

Thanks T

get the zillion sv instead of tatula if u ask me, just for afew $ diff

spool weight is lighter on the zillion which allow you to cast lighter lure even tho both are SV spool 

23 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Most people do not know how to set the zero adjust on the SV spools.  Once its set for the day you dont touch the tension spool.  Just a quick tip.

which one to adjust? 

8 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Tatula SV for me. The brake settings can be very sensitive to get right, but when you do you won’t find a better casting reel.

but have u tried zillion ? 

33 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Most people do not know how to set the zero adjust on the SV spools.  Once its set for the day you dont touch the tension spool.  Just a quick tip.

hey ship, which one to adjust, please share with me as i own couple of SV series 

I dont want to post a link as its basically a Daiwa commercial.  So I will just quote what you can google to find the video, its the first hit.  "how to set a sv spool" .

Brent Ehrler explains it beautifully starting at 1:47 seconds.  

33 mins ago, Tourstage said:

but have u tried zillion ? 

Sorry Tourstage, I should have added in it’s price range with similar price tags like the Curado’s. 

Good call Shipwreck, that’s where I learned to fine tune mine. When you get it right, skipping baits becomes a breeze, even with lighter baits.

43 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

I dont want to post a link as its basically a Daiwa commercial.  So I will just quote what you can google to find the video, its the first hit.  "how to set a sv spool" .

Brent Ehrler explains it beautifully starting at 1:47 seconds.  

did google but its daiwa jap not Brent

youtube same as well 

whats the title of the video if u may share? 

23 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

great information ! 

appreciated 

but my friend alway tell me to tighten up the spool tension knob to remove the side to side play 

have u been using that method even using different lure weight ? 

i always adjust the tension whenever i change lure and alway freespool to check for overrun before making a cast

Edited by Tourstage