bob_G

And yet another tick disease

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

I stop Heartguard Dec 1. I figure once hunting season is over his risk of encountering a mosquito is about zero.  Don't want to expose him to unnecessary chemicals.

Just a footnote. I pulled a fully engorged tick off him the other day. On his left ear. A place I pet him everyday. Have no idea where it came from.

6 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

right.  I always look to see who financed the study.    :D

Did you read the article?

Do you question the study?

The school that did the study and the source of financial support are listed in the article. 

Are they not legit?

My experience has been that deer ticks are most effective at finding their hosts in the cool weather because they have heat sensing organs.  Too warm and they have trouble picking you out from the environment and when it is below 40 degrees they are not active, Wood ticks tend climb on things and hook you as you pass by in the warmer weather.  Deer tick will also hook you with their front legs and will also crawl too, or drop onto warm bodies. One cool night Camping on Assateague we woke up the next morning to find our tent literally covered with deer ticks. During the night they were attracted to our warm bodies and the warmer surface of the tent.

The newer version of Advantix is supposed to protect dogs and cats better, but it is still not a sure thing.

Edited by Jay Blair

My doctor told me she treated a lot fewer tick infections this year for the same reason you mentioned. Sustained heat during peak season that made it hard for ticks to distinguish between warm blooded bodies and anything else. Not sure if i agree with it but i did find far fewer ticks on me this season than last.

14 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

My experience has been that deer ticks are most effective at finding their hosts in the cool weather because they have heat sensing organs.  Too warm and they have trouble picking you out from the environment and when it is below 40 degrees they are not active, Wood ticks tend climb on things and hook you as you pass by in the warmer weather.  Deer tick will also hook you with their front legs and will also crawl too, or drop onto warm bodies. One cool night Camping on Assateague we woke up the next morning to find our tent literally covered with deer ticks. During the night they were attracted to our warm bodies and the warmer surface of the tent.

The newer version of Advantix is supposed to protect dogs and cats better, but it is still not a sure thing.

Never thought of the heat seaking quality but I have long known deer ticks are more active in cooler weather. 

I used to collect water samples from monitoring wells in woods and fields for many years, every month. 

That meant I walked thru the same patches of brush every month so I could compare.

March and April worst, Sept-Nov second worst.

In the stretch of 2014-2017, picking warm days for my own comfort, I had deer ticks in every single month.

I would not use 40F as cut off.

I'd use freezing, 32F, as the arbitrary cut off, at least for bushwhacking the worst tick brush.

Little mico-climates in sheltered areas can be much warmer than the forcast on your phone.

I treat my yard with cotton balls sprayed with permethrin stuffed into 6 inch sections of pvc. They get put all around my house and yard, woodpile and rock walls. Mice take the cotton to their nests and sleep on it and it kills the ticks. Have heard it doesn’t harm the mice. I spray my boots and pants with it every 2 weeks or after I wash them a few times. Have also sprayed my floor mats in my truck and let them dry outside. Ticks didn’t seem as bad this summer or fall as in the past but that could be for any number of reasons. 

Our winters seem to be on more of a freeze/thaw cycle than ever before. Each thaw with days getting into 40s seems to also bring out the ticks. Found one on my dog last week.

Although I can start collecting maple sap sooner too! Most of the sap I collected last year was in February, crazy.