bob_G

And yet another tick disease

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Those on the cape live in a high infestation area for ticks , some hunting areas more then others. At times ticks will not be as notifiable, but non the less go in the woods during this time of the year one can still expect to have a few crawl on you. In the spring the beach areas on the south side hold large populations as does the cape cod canal

Those who have pets , especially those that live near wooded areas should be checking them on a daily basis or at the very least have a flee tick collar on . It is an expensive and also very crippling for the dogs that contract lyme or one of the other known infections caused by ticks. In some cases even after undergoing treatment the animals will have long term problems and in some cases need to remain on antibiotics . I have seen dogs not treated by neighbors around here, have the dogs become almost parallelized and in one case unable to walk at all . Ticks are something not good for man or beast  and in some cases just getting bitten by a tick can have serious allergy reactions to the bite area. 

Bob I would keep a close eye on our friend even after you stop giving him the antibiotic, for relapses in some cases are common . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Those on the cape live in a high infestation area for ticks , some hunting areas more then others. At times ticks will not be as notifiable, but non the less go in the woods during this time of the year one can still expect to have a few crawl on you. In the spring the beach areas on the south side hold large populations as does the cape cod canal

Those who have pets , especially those that live near wooded areas should be checking them on a daily basis or at the very least have a flee tick collar on . It is an expensive and also very crippling for the dogs that contract lyme or one of the other known infections caused by ticks. In some cases even after undergoing treatment the animals will have long term problems and in some cases need to remain on antibiotics . I have seen dogs not treated by neighbors around here, have the dogs become almost parallelized and in one case unable to walk at all . Ticks are something not good for man or beast  and in some cases just getting bitten by a tick can have serious allergy reactions to the bite area. 

Bob I would keep a close eye on our friend even after you stop giving him the antibiotic, for relapses in some cases are common . 

Carl,

Come on, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I mean, really, give me some credit.

I've owned a small herd of bird dogs going back to when I was 14 years old. I've dealt with Lyme before, dating as far back as 1979.

I vaccinate all my dogs for Lyme. I also vaccinate for leptisporosis because of all the beaver swamps we hunt in. The rate of efficacy on both vaccines isn't even close to 100%. I have health insurance on my dogs. My dogs are extremely well cared for. Even more so than myself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who said you fell of the turnip truck ? Good you have health insurance on the dogs as you have found out it is not cheap to take care of any problem with ticks . I was making general comments from my personal experiences over the years and I do not hunt , but every time we went into the woods it was a complete body check for both my pup and me . Some times even all the precautions we make are never enough , so it is best to be vigilant . I can not recall all the times removing them blood suckers from myself and the pup, but we still continued to walk them until she passed. They say that if you can remove the tick with in so many days that it is not as bad as when we do not discover them at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob how many times has charlie been treated for Ticks , If I recall he had to be treated by some of the posting you have made in the past. Unless you had more then one with the same name?Does the Vet think that being treated multiple times over period of time will reduce his longevity? Have you ever asked him will have any residual long term affects?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quail are supposed to be enthusiastic tick eaters, but there's another bird - guinea fowl? - that's supposedly even better. I wonder if we'll wind up breeding fowl of some kind in the winter for a spring release, in hope of suppressing the tick population a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a small flock of chickens. They eat every bug around and give you excellent eggs. Pretty good deal.

 

Unfortunately, Fisher, coyote and hawks like the taste of chicken too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Quail are supposed to be enthusiastic tick eaters, but there's another bird - guinea fowl? - that's supposedly even better. I wonder if we'll wind up breeding fowl of some kind in the winter for a spring release, in hope of suppressing the tick population a bit. 

Turkeys and opossums eat a bunch. I read somewhere that a turkey eats something like 1000 a year and an opossum eats up to 5000! I weep when I see dead opossums on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you took him early.  My life has been rough because I was too stubborn to get tested for Lyme.  Ticks are terrible, and their diseases are likely the most under-diagnosed out there.  

Hope he has no lasting affects!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been posted on other tick threads but some guys keep guinea fowl to control tick populations on their property. But i guess the downside is they can make an ear-splitting racket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, bdowning said:

Its been posted on other tick threads but some guys keep guinea fowl to control tick populations on their property. But i guess the downside is they can make an ear-splitting racket.

That's true, but, we have a flock of wild turkeys that prowl our 'hood.  You can hear them coming from a mile away,  putt, putt putt, gobble, poop...………………...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish the beaches of Jamaica Bay and along the high water mark  has high grass that is loaded with ticks... This creates a problem that I can only fish the beach during low tide so I don't have to walk through the high grass areas...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Fuzzytrout said:

ticks are the devil......

 

I've had lymes, anaplasmosis, and erlichiosis.   Erlichiosis was hands down the worst.

 

And now I'm allergic to red meat thanks to a tick bite.  

 

all ticks can rot in hell. 

Allergic to red meat due to tick bite??? Is that a new thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.